Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor speeds

• Please log in to reply

akex

akex

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi everyone,

First of all, i'd like to know if it is worth it having a dual/quad core processor if I don't plan on multitasking very much. Are there programs that utilize the full potential of having more than one core?

Also, how important is the speed of the processor in ghz? I was told that AMD 6000+ doesn't perform as well as the intel e6750 but the advertised processor speed for the AMD is higher than that of the intel.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dual-core is the future. Much faster.
As to processor speed, it went out the window years ago. The AMD 6000 is slow compared to the E6750 despite the difference in clock speed but the Intel is just a better chip overall because although it runs slower clock-speed wise, it performs better and also has a bigger what's called cache - cache is a temporary buffer between processor and memory and the bigger the cache, the more it holds. Therefore the bigger the cache and the more data is in the cache, the faster the system can get it second-time round relatively soon after.

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I would recommend a Core2Duo processor for power saving. And dual core is better.