Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Messing Up

• Please log in to reply

schreineradam

schreineradam

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I originally thought this might be a malware problem, but Rorschach112 instructed me that everything looked fine on that end and I should come here. I am using XP Pro and Firefox as my browser. Sometimes I will be browsing and attempt to access a web page and it will not load. My internet is still connected and good and this has happened on my laptop both at work and at home, so I don't think it is router settings at all. The weird thing is is that it doesn't even give the page saying "cannot connect" or whatever it may be, it actually just acts as though I didn't attempt to load a page at all. I will click refresh several times and then finally it will load on one of the clicks, sometimes fully, sometimes not. If I restart my computer or repair my connection it sometimes fixes it for a while. Even weirder is that I listen to online radio at work and throughout this problem my online radio will continue to play. At one point when this problem was happening with my browser I then disconnected my internet and the radio stopped, but had kept playing through the problem. I also tried IE once after I had this problem in Firefox and the problem happened there too. I have no idea what is going on, but it is rather frustrating. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi schreineradam, welcome.

Try this: Click on Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter to open a command prompt. From the command prompt window, enter the following commands (shown bold):

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

schreineradam

schreineradam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Well that seemed to work for a while but it came back again. I don't really know what is going on or if that really did anything because sometimes it goes away for a while.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Probably did not make any difference then. Try the Winsock Repair Utility, see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, what IE are you using, IE6 or IE7? If IE7, there is an option under Tools to restore default settings. See here for info:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

schreineradam

schreineradam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
My problem still continues after completing those instructions.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is your network connection built into the mother board or is it a PCI card? What is the make/model of your computer.

How do you connect to the internet, cable or dsl? Do you have a router or do you connect directly to the broadband modem?

Try deleting the network adapter in Device Manager, then reboot and let XP rediscover it and reload the drivers. That sometimes helps.

To get to device manager, click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter or click OK.

schreineradam

schreineradam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I do not have a PCI card. I am using a Toshiba Tecra M9-S5513X. At home I use a wireless router and at work I am connected to the work LAN. I will try deleting the network adapter and see if that helps.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If deleting the network adapter doesn't help try this:

Click Start > Run. In the dialog box type cmd and then OK. In the DOS-like window that opens up type:

ipconfig /release and press Enter
ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

reboot the computer.

It might be that by moving your computer between two locations with two different networks, the ip and the dns settings, are not changed properly. Usually, if there is a dynamic ip, it's lease expires after 24 hours. It might be that the ip aquired at your home system is somehow not giving way to the ip acquired at your work network, and vice versa.

schreineradam

schreineradam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I tried what you said and it worked for a while but came back. I have previously tried the release and renew commands and they seem to fix it for a bit, but it always comes back. It's gotten to the point where I have just made a .bat file and put it on my desktop.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
After you perform the commands, is the computer stable in the location in which you ran them? (e.g, is it working well at home until you take it to work?)

schreineradam

schreineradam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
No, I had it at work the whole time and the problem keeps happening.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you boot into "safe mode with networking" and report what happens?