Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Couple of wierd things with my room mates keys.

• Please log in to reply

nick_mi

nick_mi

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi I am on my room mates computer and whenever I hit ctrl(so I can ctrl+a or ctrl+c, etc) it brings up outlook express for some reason??

Also, whenever I hit the pause/break button, it automacticaly shuts the computer down.

How do I fix this?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Perhaps your mate has set this up deliberately?
Anyway why are you on his computer? Would you like it if he came on your computer and changed all your keys?

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
It's not purposefully, he lets me use his computer(because it's a beast), and he wants it fixxed. This isn't normal.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

When you press CTRL+C (for example) and it opens OE, is this only happening inside a particular application? i.e are you always using Microsoft Word for instance at the time? Or does this happen even when all applications are closed?

If it's happening without any applications being open, then find the Outlook Express shortcut (either on the desktop or on the Start menu), right click on it and select 'properties'. In the properties box that opens, check the 'shortcut key' entry. If a shortcut key is assigned, then you can either change it or delete it.

Edited by Samm, 07 February 2008 - 04:21 PM.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Yes it opens with none or any applications present.
I found the shortcut key, and it said none was assigned.

I tried to assign one, but it opens whenever i hit the ctrl key even after that.
I also went into add remove windows products, and tried to remove OE altogether. But the add remove windows components is a little hard to understand. I would like to uncheck all the boxes, but will that remove them? Or add them? Or what would that change.

My plan was to uncheck all but OE and then continue but if that does remove the other stuff, that probably wouldn't be good.

Thanks again.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good job you asked first....

Clearing a ticked checkbox in the add/remove windows components will uninstall that component. If you want to uninstall OE, then uncheck the OE checkbox but leave everything else alone!

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Yeah I removed outlook, and now it doesn't happen! Yay

Thank You, have a great day/night :)

It was just weird that the shortcut key was preset, and unchangeable- O well