Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover data from Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have a hard drive that I can read with my easy IDE conector on another PC but when I try to copy the contents it will copy olny so much and and start a grinding noice and give me a "invalid MS-Dos function. It is running XP Home. I figure if I can see everything I should be able to copy it. Does anyone have any ideas. I need to recover allot of pictures. Bruce

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Disks and grinding noise are a not a good sign. Typically that means something is seriously wrong. If you need to get the data off, you might need to use a data recovery service, which is expensive. There is also programs which might help, such as I think Spinrite, but your problem sounds like it could be a head crash. Some data will be readable, but there most likely is a bad spot on the disk where the heads touched down.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I agree with you. Does a data recovery outfit take th platters out to read one that is having a spin problem?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
That is one of the ways to read the data.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have managed to save 75 % of the pictures but some files are in the area that is bad and that is where the drive will stall and make a noise like the arm is going back and forth. I don't think any data recovery software will work if the mechanism is not working right at different sectors.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There is a lot that a service can do, but it comes at a price. It all depends on how much the data is worth to you. A program might be able to make it past that point and get more data, but it might not get anymore.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have cooled the drive down in the freezer for a bit and at intervals I was able to retrieve 90% of the data. I believe the rest is in a section that is beyond repair. e can live with the 9o% recovery. This is a friends drive and as much as I preach backup your data it falls upon deaf ears. Thanks For the help. Bruce