Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy drive detected as 5.25 drive.

• Please log in to reply

MaMister

MaMister

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have a old desktop that runs on some customized dos software and its motherboard going to give way so I decided to do this:

I cloned the hard drive to my presario M2000 which runs on 915 chipset.

As the chipset doesn't support ME, I get big display of 640x800 with no sound and so on but all this is ok for me as I only need to run the dos software.

The problem is that this laptop got no floppy drive so as I clone over, it just detect a 5.25 drive?

I tried to check the bios but there is no option on selecting 3.5 or 5.25 for floppy.

Is it possible for me to remove that since phsically there is no hardware floppy?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Where does this link to the 5.25 floppy show up? Is it on your desktop or in My Computer, or where? And does it bother you in some way, popping up when you don't want it, or such?

If it's just a link to something that isn't there you can probably delete the link. If it's an entry in the Registry things will be a little more complicated.

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks for the reply, its in my computer with the c drive and d drive.

I think so too that its having some kind of entry in system files or registry that follows the ME and clone over.

I tried to install XP over it as upgrade options and the 5.25" goes away.... but too bad the dos program doesn't work anymore.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can right-click and rename the floppy drive icon in 'My Computer' to anything you want, or just ignore it.

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Yes, i can rename it but the A: remains....