Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floating Point Overflow

• Please log in to reply

Tranq

Tranq

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I am not that tech savvy. Figured I would point that out first.

I have been using AVS Video Tools... More specifically AVS Smart Converter (Yes, legally purchased), and have been trying to convert some of my DVD's into .m4v format, to play on my iPod (again, legally).

However, I keep running into trouble with such messages as "floating point overflow" and other floating point messages.

If anyone could give me some suggestions on how to fix this problem, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do you know what your computer specs are? Specifically what processor you are using?

Tranq

Tranq

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Computer:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.93GHz
2 GB of RAM

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro, 2002 Ver. SP#2

The program used to work fine before I had to reformat my computer.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Tranq, 06 February 2008 - 10:42 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, normally floating point errors occure due to a faulty processor or due faulty programing. I know this software makes heavy use of the floating point calculations during its conversion process.

what caused you to reformat your computer?

Tranq

Tranq

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I got an Indt2.sys and ndt2.sys malware bug that kept messing with my programs. I was able to remove it using help from this website. However, several programs were still messed up afterward. I tried to fix them, but decided to just clean the crap out of the computer by reformatting it.

Is it possible to fix the problem, or do I just need to scrap the idea of using the program?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would try contacting the creator of the program and see what they have to say.

I'll try and find a floating point test to see if there is an issue with the processor