Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UPGRADE CPU

• Please log in to reply

willo 171

willo 171

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm new to this and need advice. I have a P4 with a 2.4 ghz CPU and have just upgraded to a 3ghz. both are 478 pin and I'm running Windows 2000 pro. My problem is that at no particular time the computer freezes and I have to reboot. I have placed a fan near the unit just in case it was overheating but no difference.
My mainboard is a ALBATRON PX845 pro 800.
The specs of the new CPU are

SL6WU MALAY

L401A827

Number:SL6WU
CPU Speed:3 GHz
PCG:
Bus Speed:800 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio:15
L2 Cache Size:512 KB
L2 Cache Speed:3 GHz
Package Type:478 pin
Manufacturing Technology:0.13 micron
Core Stepping:D1
CPUID String:0F29h
Thermal Design Power:81.9W
Thermal Specification:70°C
VID Voltage Range:1.25V-1.525V

Any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
quick question. Do you use the very same heatsink that used on older processor before or you use the new heatsink that comes with the new processor?

you might want to re-apply thermal paste between your processor and heatsink/fan. :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When you say the computer freezes, does it freeze for a period of time , or can it be immediately be used after a reboot. If it takes a while to be reusable then i would look for a heat problem. It it does NOT it may be just too many programs running in the background, so when you do something cpu and memory intensive it just locks up. When you do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete, how many processes are running? 25 to 45 is normal with a commit charge of about 200-350MB. Any more than this can slow down the computer and cause problems.

You can download speedfan and run it to see what your temps are. CPU temps higher than 45°c can be a problem. Speedfan can also tell you what your voltages are coming from the PSU. 11.7 volts or less on the 12 volt line can cause spontaneous reboots . The same goes for less than 4.6 volts on the 5 volt line. The 12 volt line is the important one .

Intel CPU's have a built-in switch that when it overheats the CPU shuts down. That is why i would look at speedfan, because it reads the motherboard sensors for the temps. I had a computer brought in that showed 78° before the CPU shut down and it would shut down at various times every day. This computer had the heatsink installed without a good thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink, causing the problem. Fenzodahl is correct, in that you should look at the heatsink for a problem even tho it seems to not have a heat problem.

SRX660

willo 171

willo 171

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your advice, I have checked the heat sink and also had an external fan blowing onto the CPU but still freezes. It does not restart it just hangs.
I think the problem is that even though the mainboard states 800 fsb it will only accept 400 fsb. I went to the Albatron web site and it says that the 3ghz 800 fsb is not compatible.
Thank you for you help and suggestions.
Willo

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Ouch.. that is very true.... I should have check your motherboard compatibility first :)

Perhaps you can return the processor to the vendor and change with the compatible one?? :)