Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP ME- game frequently experiences graphical lag spikes

• Please log in to reply

animosity

animosity

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been burdened with a lag spike that occurs every 20 seconds or so in counter-strike 1.6, this is the only game effected which I think is odd.
Counter-strike source runs fine.
Let me explain more in-depth about this "lag spike" considering its a very broad term...
I'll be playing Counter-strike 1.6 and out of nowhere the game freezes for slightly under 1 second at random locations in the game, at random intervals usually around 20-45 seconds. The framerate is capped at 100 and my pc maintains it with ease 99.9% of the time lol.
I noticed my net-graph in the game will show my ping dropping from 130 back to its usual 50 quickly as this lag spike ends its self. which leads me to believe that during this system freeze thing it's not only the game thats freezing, it could be more components that are effected like my network card.
This is not an internet lag spike just to clarify, it's local lag as some call it. I'm very familiar with the net lag in cs.

This started happening after I upgraded my motherboard (ASUS M2N32 Deluxe WIFI edition) and reformatted my computer. I also replaced my old ram with 2 1Gig sticks of Patriot Low CAS latency sticks if its any consolation...

I've already tried:

virus scanning with AVG
updated dx9.0c again
changing settings in Nvidia control panel (Forceware 169.21)
re-installing the game
defragmenting game cache, verifying integrity of game files
tried reading the windows event log but didnt find anything related yet
tried posting on steam users forums (no help at all)
ran game on low-priority
updated BIOS
...theres probably more things i've tried already

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Trash man

Trash man

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
do you have a lot of junk in ur pc?
wat speed is your internet?

animosity

animosity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

do you have a lot of junk in ur pc?
wat speed is your internet?

my internet is through cox communications and its 6-15Mbit down 512Kbit up

no actually this game is one of the first apps installed on here after reformatting and I had this problem then.
all I had installed when this lag happened was AVG, steam(associated with game), and my mouse and keyboard drivers.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

Are there any game patches that you are able to apply?

Troy

animosity

animosity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oh i finally fixed it after trying everything.
It was something related to my graphics cards drivers.
it was the 169.21 forceware drivers causing the bug.
I had the drivers in mind the whole time but it was the last thing i wanted to tamper with considering how niceley counter strike source was running compared to the other drivers that i used for a long time (97.xx)
i uninstalled them and used driversweeper, then installed an older version 163.75
problem solved and CSS still runs decent :)

Edited by animosity, 07 February 2008 - 11:54 PM.