Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on what to look for Concerning a New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Scawt

Scawt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I'm after a reasonably priced, good performance laptop.

Preferably with a Large Screen (20 inch?), Good Amount of RAM (2 GB?), good Graphics Card, Good HDD space. The works.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a laptop, or at least some specs so I can get one made.

I'm talking good, smooth performace, but not...you know...gaming level.

Also some advice on an operating system. I'm thinking XP Pro

Also, for a good office suite, is Microsoft Office 2007 recommended?

And Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Graphics Work?

Thanks

Scawt

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi there.. I'm not sure if a 20" notebook exist.. the largest notebook i've ever seen myself comes with 17" only.. :)

Since you are asking about notebook, may I recommend you Dell Vostro? You can costumize the notebook specification by yourself :) The model that I meant is the most right ones, the ones with Nvidia graphic :)

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I'm not sure if a 20" notebook exist..

feast your eyes...

And Dell makes one too. Unfortunately, they are only offered with Vista. If you wanna get a very nice performing laptop with a large screen (may have to go with 17") and Windows XP on it, then I agree with fenz. Customize one yourself from HP or Dell, since changing a Vista laptop to XP is a real pain. :)

Also, about the Office suite. Do you need Word and Excel? If you just need an office suite, I would suggest checking out OpenOffice.org. It's an open-source basic office suite. Kinda like Microsoft Works except that it works with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. better. But, if you need Microsoft Office, then I would just get that.

Good luck.