Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting dual monitors to computer

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
A search of "low profile" under PCI-Express x16 Video Cards returned these results on Newegg. However all of the ones with dual-outputs have one DVI and one VGA, which is what your current video card has. If you can't get it to work on your current video card, I don't see how you would have success with these.

Perhaps we should focus more on getting your current card to work. After all, if it has a DVI and a VGA port, it should support two monitors. Can you give any more information on how/why this did not work?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Can you give any more information on how/why this did not work?

It only has one output.

A search of "low profile" under PCI-Express x16 Video Cards returned these results on Newegg. However all of the ones with dual-outputs have one DVI and one VGA, which is what your current video card has. If you can't get it to work on your current video card, I don't see how you would have success with these.

Everyone of those are two big. Low profile means the width of the PCB is much narrower.

James

Edited by james_8970, 07 February 2008 - 09:14 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

It only has one output.

Oh, it sounded to me here like she had two outputs:

My Dell monitor that came with my new computer is connected via a DVI adapter with the blue VGA cable from the monitor plugged into that. I tried connecting the 2nd monitor to the blue VGA port but it said something about my computer having an added video card and that I would need an adapter. So I'm assuming I can't use the VGA port at all. Do I just need to get a dual cable to connect both monitors?

Everyone of those are two big. Low profile means the width of the PCB is much narrower.

Yes, but it also means that they are also compatible with a low profile bracket. Some of them, like this card even come with the low profile bracket. I would probably recommend that card for the her purposes if she can verify that his current card only has one output.

Edited by stettybet0, 07 February 2008 - 09:28 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The problem is, unless she has a monitor with S-video support, that will not work. To be honest, I'm not aware of you being able to do a dual setup with S-Video.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 February 2008 - 09:24 PM.

capescafe

capescafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok. Well I'm pretty sure my video card only has a DVI port and I think a video port too. (S-video I guess?)

I included a pic of the back of my computer so you can see how it looks. The VGA port is separate from the video card ports.

computer_ports.jpg

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes that is a S-video port, I cannot guarrentee it'll work as I have never done it myself. In theory it should work.
That VGA port above is for your onboard, it's disabled with a video card installed.
James

capescafe

capescafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, so question. What does it mean that it's for my onboard and why would it be disabled?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Onboard graphics is basically a graphics card intergraded into your motherboard. This is disabled automatically (in most cases) once you install your new graphics card. They cannot properly function together.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 February 2008 - 09:03 AM.

capescafe

capescafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, so basically I'm still back to where I was. The only option for having dual monitors is to buy the video card from Dell unless the company that made the video card for Dell sells it elsewhere???

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Call dell back and ask them to clarify. I don't think it's physically possible to have two DVI or two VGA ports side by side on a width that small.
James

Advertisements

capescafe

capescafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah the tech support lady told me I would need 2 DVI ports, but then the card she recommended had one VGA and one DVI port. So that would work I'm pretty sure to have 1 of each. But now it's just a matter of finding one that fits my computer. I checked on the www.amd.com site and they have a video card upgrad advisor where you put in your type of computer and operating system and bus type. So I did that and it came up with a list of about 31 video cards. Most of the ones I checked had 1 DVI port and 1 VGA port. But it doesn't say what size they are. Like how wide the actual video card is. Then in the fine print down at the bottom of the list it says something like "These graphics cards may not fit in a low profile machine...the updgrade advisor bases the selections on bus type and operating system."

So I was thinking of just contacting some of these companies and just asking them if they make any cards that will fit in my particular computer and who sells them. But I should be able to connect dual monitors with 1 VGA port and 1 DVI port right?

capescafe

capescafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
And I also checked both of my monitors and it doesn't look like there is anywhere to plug in an S-video cable. So that wouldn't work.

capescafe

capescafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, the other thing I was trying to do was to find my exact video card online. But I cannot find one that looks like mine on the back. Also, there are a lot of them that have the same Model type: ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO. But there are tons of different kinds of ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO graphics cards. There's ASUS, MSI, Diamond. So what's the difference? I'm assuming most of those are for regular sized towers, but how can you tell? They don't give dimensions or anything in the product info.

capescafe

capescafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
What do you all think of this post I found in the Dell support forums:
http://www.dellcommu...hread.id=120864

I still don't know enough to tell if any of those video cards suggested in that forum would work for dual monitors. Will any of those cards work for me?

Also mentioned in that post was this product at Newegg (which might work for me right?):
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814998301

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes but these pictures don't display the card with the low profile bracket. The dell support is likely saying what the card has without the low profile bracket. Once you but the low profile braket on, it'll remove one DVI or VGA port. I really don't think this is possible to do with your computer, unless you can hook up two monitors using the S-Video port. Again, I do not know if S-Video will work in a dual monitor setup as I have never done anything and cannot find anything to suggest that it will work. That being said I cannot see it not working, but I have no way to verify this. Try and see i any of your video cards have S-Video port.

Also mentioned in that post was this product at Newegg (which might work for me right?):
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814998301

It has the exact same connectors as your existing video card.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 February 2008 - 12:28 PM.