Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting dual monitors to computer

• Please log in to reply

capescafe

capescafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
My current video card does have an S-video port but I don't think any of my monitors would plug into it. I couldn't find a port on my monitor that would go to S-video.

But with that bracket, it does have one that has both DVI and VGA. At least the way I see it. There are 3 brackets included. Here's the pic from the Newegg site:
low_profile_bracket.jpg

Doesn't that 3rd one have DVI, VGA and S-Video slots?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah that should work, that's the first time I have even seen such a thing. Good find :)
I cannot see how that would not work in your case.
James

anthonyerr

anthonyerr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there, I am in exactly the same predicament as capescafe.

I purchased a slim line Dell Inspiron 530s only 2 weeks ago as my previous PC stopped working. When purchasing the PC I did enquire if the graphics card the PC was supplied with supported dual monitor output - (I had this set-up on my old PC to made sense to keep it).

When I received the PC I noticed the graphics card only had 1 DVI port. I called Dell tech, and they advised me I only needed to purchase a DVI splitter in order to extend my windows onto another screen.

I did initially think, "a splitter" but I don’t want 2 monitors showing the same thing!! But, I decided to go with it...

In ordering and receiving the splitter, I tried installing, however with no luck. I contacted Dell once again (online this time) and they took control of my computer (via dellconnect.com). After the tech person fiddled about for a couple of minutes, they managed to set-up both monitors showing an extended window on the 2nd monitor. In applying the settings and restarting the computer the settings were wiped.

They tried again, however with no luck.

From what I can gather, when in the display settings, and when highlighting the 2nd monitor and selecting "extend the desktop into this monitor" - you are prevented from applying these settings are they automatically unclicks.

I don't quite know what to do?? Could I install the same graphics card, so I would have two running??
or
I have manged to find a low profile graphics card with dual monitor output. Its £80/$160 which I personally think is too expensive, however if it ends my headache, I don't mind as a screen that doesnt work would be worst! There is not image on the website, so I cannot confirm it will fit.

http://accessories.e...-10612#Overview

or
Will infact a splitter work?

Any suggestions would be greatful
Thanks,
Anthony

anthonyerr

anthonyerr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
In searching for an image of the ATI Radeon X1300 PRO 256Mb DualHead Low Profile, I found a good image on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

The image shows only one DVI output. I'm confused now. If the card is supplied with a splitter does this not mean, all you need is a splitter for dual monitor set-up?

If someone could advise a low profile graphics card, with either 2 DVI's (preferable), or 1 DVI and 1 VGA - i'd be greatful!!!!

anthonyerr

anthonyerr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Would this work?
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e...A:IT&ih=005

or
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

Thanks again,
Anthony

Edited by anthonyerr, 26 February 2008 - 04:17 PM.