Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possibly Unknown Virus or Malware on an XP laptop [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ink_lilly

ink_lilly

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Everyone;

I recently inherited a laptop from my folks. It's been giving me issues. I'll go through the process of what has happened step by step so that, hopefully, some wonderful geek out there might be able to say "Oh, you're dealing with x, and the best way to get rid of x is through process p, q, r".

Alrighty then. The machine is a Gateway laptop (approximately 3 years old) running windows XP.

Yesterday, I was playing around with it, trying to install some older games (age of empires 2 and Rome: total war, specifically). Rome: Total War was giving me some issues due to Direct X not being up to snuff on the machine.

I decided to update windows on my machine. I figured this would be a good step toward maximizing performance (along with removing unneeded applications, defragging the disk, and cleaning up the registry).

Microsoft Live Update indicated that the machine needed to download and install 67 updates. Leading me to believe that my folks had not updated the machine since they had gotten it. I downloaded and installed the updates. I had intended on downloading Adaware, as well as doing a virus scan online, after the machine was fully updated.

After installing the updates, two items were uninstalled (a google toolbar, and a yahoo toolbar) prior to restarting the machine.

Things started acting very strange after the machine had been rebooted. Here are the symptoms of what is going on.

(1) The computer refuses to see any networking hardware (no wireless card, no ethernet card, no firewire port). Consequently, accessing the internet from the computer is impossible.

(2) When rebooted, the computer defaults to hiding the taskbar. In normal mode, it can be made to appear. In safe mode, it cannot.

(3) Internet explorer will not launch at all. When executed the program window pops up, but then instantly disappears. The program does not show up as running in the task manager when an attempt is made to execute the program.

(4) Some other applications (the games I had installed, windows onecare, and a few others) run into "Unspecified problems" when i try to run them.

(5) I am unable to install software from storage devices such as CDs or flashdrives. When an attempt is made to drag and drop files from a storage device onto the machine, nothing happens. When i try to copy/cut and paste them onto the machine, the paste option is greyed out and short cuts for pasting do not work either. When i attempt to install software directly from the storage device i receive an "unspecified problem" message, and the install terminates.

(6) I was able to run stinger from the jump drive (probably because it is a very simple program). It found no viruses in its search.

The reason I suspect that this issue is related to malware of some sort is that, whatever seems to be going on, it seems to have systematically shutdown any means of dealing with the issues it causes. Any insights, suggestions, help, or answers that could be provided would be extremely useful.

Thanks bunches,
inky lily

ps- since I cannot get files of any sort onto the computer from a remote storage device, I would not be able to install and run HJT to give you all a sense of what's going on registry wise.

Edited by ink_lilly, 05 February 2008 - 01:17 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi now this is an intriguing problem- the possibilty is that one of the MS downloads was a hardware update which is where the problem may stem from..

So the first question is do you have an XP disc or is there a repair partition on the laptop ?

If you know the model of the gateway laptop I could see what the recovery instructions are. Is there anything on the laptop that needs to be saved ?

ink_lilly

ink_lilly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply Essexboy.

Right now, i don't have an XP disc. I do not think there is a repair partition on the HD, though I could check if you let me know how. After I get paid, i'll be swinging by the campus bookstore to see if i can get a copy of XP for cheap.

I'll post the specs when I am able to (might be a day or two, as I may not be going home in the next couple of evenings). Hadn't considered the notion that it could be a hardware/update conflict.

Thanks again!

-Ink Lily

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.