Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about hooking up my cables from PSU?

• Please log in to reply

dcloud

dcloud

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi everyone. I'm building my first computer - w00t! All my parts have arrived and although I ordered the Gigabyte P35-DS3R ClubIt sent me the P35-DS3L. After checking both of these boards on the Gigabyte site I decided to keep the DS3L, because the only thing the DS3R offers is RAID and more SATA ports. I'll never use RAID and I can always get more SATA (I'm sure they sell PCI cards somewhere for that).

Anyway, I'm starting to assemble everything in the case, but now I have some questions. My PSU is a PCP&C Silencer 610. I have it installed in my Ultra m998 case, but I'm a little confused about all these cables. I want to make sure I'm hooking everything up correctly, so I have some pictures to help illustrate what I'm asking.

Posted Image

Now I take it these are all the power connectors? The 4-pin ATX 12V, and the 24-pin main mobo power. I believe one is for CPU but not sure what the other is for?

Posted Image

Ok, now in this photo I have one of the SATA cables from the PSU plugged into my HD. There are three SATA plugs on this cable and I have the first one plugged into the drive. I take it the other two are for more HDs?

Posted Image

Same thing only this time I've used the other SATA cable from the PSU to hook up to my Lite-On SATA DVD burner. Is this correct?

I appreciate any help or advice you can give. Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The power connectors are for these:

4 pin = Intel CPU
6 pin = newer Nvidia and ATI video cards
8 pin = newer Nvidia and ATI video cards
24 pin = Motherboard

On the 2nd and 3rd pictures, you are correct.

SRX660

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
SRX660, thanks for the help. So it's all right to hook the other SATA cable coming from the PSU to the Lite-On drive? I figure to keep all device drives on one cable and all HDs on the other cable. I don't see I'll ever have more than three of each anyway.

Now the PCI-E cables are for hooking up to video cards, correct? My video card has no such hook ups.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

So it's all right to hook the other SATA cable coming from the PSU to the Lite-On drive

Yes

Now the PCI-E cables are for hooking up to video cards, correct? My video card has no such hook ups.

Some cards don't requirer the extra power connector.

Good luck!

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)