Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP does not start

• Please log in to reply

cableguy

cableguy

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Iv'e recently purchaced a new mobo and want to move my working WD HD to that mobo but windows XP does not start, just get a screen that says something like - sorry for the incovenience...windows did not start or something and goes on to explain what might be the cause - new hardware, software or faulty divice drivers?
Tried all the choices after pressing F8 and still no luck, also tried another HD and that one booted up just fine so I know the mobo is good. I'm at a loss and need some help please!!!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Perform a Windows Repair, see the sticky at the top of the board. You can't just change the hardware configuration and expect it to work.

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hey that worked!! didn't want to mess with it too much was affraid of screwing it up. Thanks :)

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
That last one was an easy fix, I've got another HD with XP and want to do the same thing, the difference is, the other PC is older. I tried the windows repair and it didn't work any suggestions?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What didn't work? The Repair or the computer after doing the Repair?

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
The repair didn't work, halts at "searching for boot record from IDE-0..ok" just as it did before. Thats before I tried the windows repair. The PC is an emachine 466id.

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Maybe I spoke to soon to say the first post was easy. The windows update didn't work. Followed the instructions and stopped the auto update but the next step didn't work, got a message...LoadLibrary("%windir%\system32\wups2.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

Edited by cableguy, 08 February 2008 - 09:50 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try a Clean Install (delete partition/partitions and format during install).

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
That is not an option. I'm sorry but I think I will start a new topic with the 4th and 6th posts. I new I should not have done that to avoid confussion but thought my original problem was a done deal.
I am having problems with windows updates not installing as stated in my last post. Any help with that?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Good idea to start a new thread.

Advertisements

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I am still having problems with installing windows updates. After completing a windows repair as instructed in the sticky at the top of the board, the updates would not install. Tried the work around but that did not work got a message... LoadLibrary("%windir%\system32\wups2.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found. Any suggestions where to go from this point?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is this what you are trying to do?

Re-register the Windows update dll as suggested by the following post: http://forums.vnunet...essageID=870658

Also re-register the windows update components. This may help fix a corrupt installer

1. Click on Start and Run,
2. Type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
3. Should get the message DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded, Click OK.
4. Repeat for each of the following:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

5. Reboot

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
It's not the same post but is likely what I am trying to accomplish. These are the instuctions from the pinned post I followed earlier called "how to repair windows xp"

IMPORTANT NOTE: After running a repair, you may find that Windows Update refuses to install the most recent 80 patches. This is because the latest version of Windows Update is broken, and doesn't register some DLLs if they're previously been registered (as happens with a repair install). Here's a work around until they get it fixed:
Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
net stop wuauserv
exit

Register the file that is used by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps:
At the command prompt, type the following command, press ENTER after the command, and then click OK when you receive a verification message:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note: for x64 machines regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll

Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
net start wuauserv
exit

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Open a command prompt (Start / Run, type cmd and press Enter).

Type %windir%\system32\wups2.dll and press Enter.

Response should be something like this:
C:\>dir %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
 Volume in drive C is HP_C
 Volume Serial Number is 6021-F905

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

07/30/2007  06:19 PM			43,352 wups2.dll
			   1 File(s)		 43,352 bytes
			   0 Dir(s)  14,450,294,784 bytes free

C:\>

cableguy

cableguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Reregistering the windows update components as instructed above worked, the updates are installing now.