Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu hardware compatibility

• Please log in to reply

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey im building my first computer and trying to keep it low budget incase i break something it won't be hard to just buy another (after all i just might break something considering im new at this) and part of the keeping things low budget pulls me towards using a free OS such as Ubuntu/Linux however while looking for parts for my new pc i've been reading through many barebones reviews that they don't support any version recent version of Ubuntu/Linux, why would this be? i know that things like desktop effects on Ubuntu require a decent graphics card but why wouldn't other hardware work with effects turned off?
I've also gone to Ubuntus system requirements and all my components seem compatible BUT on one of the specific reviews for a barebone all the parts meet the Ubuntu minimum requirements yet customers complained in the reviews not being able to run any recent Ubuntu/Linux OS. (I'm not getting a barebone because i don't like one or the other part in the kits or the reviews are bad so i hand picked my parts but after reading reviews im afraid they won't work with linux and i'll have to go buy a windows OS)

Advertisements

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
anyone? :)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I have had very few hardware issue with the Linux versions I use. ATI video cards are still a sore spot (Since I prefer them to nVidia) but the drivers are getting better. Most chip sets just seem to work and most kernels are built with SMP (symmetrical multi-processor) enabled so multi core processors work.

A lot depends on what you want and expect of your system. Are you willing to settle for a little less functionality then you get with Windows? Everything will work but there are things that aren't yet implement in a lot of hardware.

Printers are sometimes the hardest things to get working. Avoid Lexmark they provide no Linux support. Cannon is beginning to become more linux friendly. Epson and HP have good driver support. Print head cleaning seems to be one of the missing functions for most printers.

Xsane will handle most scanners. Again avoid Lexmark.

If you want 3D functionality from your video you may want to stay away from ATI. The latest ATI drivers have improved AGL and GLX implementation but my experience showed they are not quiet there. I haven't tested the latest ones released 1/18/08.

I am not a fan of Ubuntu but they do have good hardware support and their forums are a great resource for all Linux users.