Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows crashes for no reason...Help pls?

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, I've got a PC that crashes every day - gives me the blue screen of death and happens completely randomly it seems.

1) I've tested my RAM 7 times over with Memtest86 (all fine)
2) I've tested my Harddrives (completely fine by Chkdsk and seagate tools)
3) I'm never run heavy graphics to stress my gfx card

(I don't always get identical errors in my blue screens of death)

Could someone please take a look at my minidumps?? (How should I attach if so, it doesnt allow me to upload dmp files here)

Thanks v much guys

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi domyue, welcome to G2G.

You need to post the info from the BSODs you've been getting. If there are several different ones, we really need them all.

That should help to narrow down the possible causes.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
is it not possible to get that info from minidumps?? I have those at hand, but for the BSoD, I'd have to wait for it to crash a few times...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It may be possible but since I can't read them I wouldn't be able to help. Perhaps one of the other techs here can.

A suggestion. Whenever you get a BSOD, always write down the pertinent information in case you need to figure out what is causing the problem.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
ok I'll note down the next time it happens, which will probably be sometime soon anyway hahaha

In any case, can some other tech help me with the minidumps??

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Here it is, Thanks!!

Why is my 12V reading not even near 12?? I've started the program twice to double check and it still gives same numbers...
...I wonder what else is wrong in the other readings too...=S

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU_info.JPG

Edited by domyue, 06 February 2008 - 08:05 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A +12v rail should be at or around 12v. or certainly within 10% anyway.
This may be the cause of your problems. A decent +12v rail is essential for today's computers.
I think you need a new power supply.

Edited by Neil Jones, 07 February 2008 - 03:23 PM.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
So will a weird 12V voltage actually give a BSoD???

Would it not just shut off the computer if there is insufficient power supply??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
install a new psu and your problem should go away

Advertisements

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I have 2 more pieces of info:

1) A BSoD this evening said there was some error (no specifics as to what problem):

STOP: 0x0000008E
0xC0000005
0xC03847DC
0xB9B9F6F8
0x00000000

2) I forgot to mention that when I used to play games (such as half-life, Call of Duty3, even some old win98 games), the PC would give me the BSoD INVARIABLY at some point during the session (sometimes 15min and sometimes half hour into the game).

Are these clues concurrent with the effects of a strange 12V voltage ???? (i.e. is there not enough power going to video card for example??)

Thanks again guys

Edited by domyue, 08 February 2008 - 06:29 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well there's one way to find out.
Change the power supply and see if the issues clear up. You're not doing yourself or the computer any favours by running it with that power supply.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I've just changed it to a 480W no-brand PSU just to see whether values change.

My 12+ rail has just gone even worse - now reading 1.79V

Should I get a better PSU and try or is there something more sinister going on??

Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It may be a defective sensor. If you only had 1-2V on the 12V you would have some significant problems with your computer I would think. The 12V rail powers your drives and PCI cards if I remember correctly. If they are grossly under powered I don't think your computer would even boot.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I've just changed my PSU once again to my old one. I pulled out a few devices so it won't be too high wattage for this old 250W PSU.

The reading is STILL super-low at 2.56V. It does seem like I have a faulty sensor or can it be a faulty motherboard??

I've been having these problems for ages, if someone can be kind enough, could they look at my minidumps (that I'll put up if someone says yes)??
(Maybe its a driver conflict? - which has happened before to me with similar symptoms)

Thanks guys