Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer 5920 laptop w/Vista wireless issues?

• Please log in to reply

wilson419

wilson419

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently purchased an Acer 5920-6864 Laptop and I have been having some issues connecting to wireless networks. The machine is loaded with Windows Vista (not my #1 choice) and has been extensively updated since I first booted it up; from drivers to software, so I am not exactly sure where I would start trying to explain every change I have made from the basic stock system configuration. However, I can say this, the machine was automatically detecting and connecting my home network lick-ity-split from the get go, but now it delays for 5-15 minutes after start up/reboot before it out of the blue finds a network and connects. I know that there is this software called "Empowering Technology" which controls the auto connect wireless feature and it will not at all connect unless it goes through this program (turned it off accidentally yesterday and had to figure that one out the hard way at school, errr!), but beyond that I don't know of any conflicting softwares and the vista diagnostic doesn't help much. If anybody has any suggestions as to why this may be happening, or how I can figure out the causation, I would greatly appreciate any input. I am not very familiar with vista and this is my first laptop, and moreover my first machine with a wireless connection, so I am a bit at a loss to say the least. I understand that on the bright side it does eventually connect to my home network (and hopefully my school network), but this delay sucks because it should be fairly instantaneous and it wasn't always acting like this. I mean, it goes so far as to tell me that there are not even any available wireless networks period, which is hogwash, until it randomly connects to one of them of course. Frustrating! If you need any more system info please let me know, and know how to provide it to you and I gladly will. Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to lend some advice.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried looking into the profile that is in the Enet in the empowering toolbar on the desktop. You may need to edit the profile to add data for faster connections. I had to delete one connection because my laptop kept trying to connect and was getting denied. The laptop kept right on asking for a pretty long time before it would give up, slowing the whole computer down. Otherwise the computer will see every wireless network available and try to connect with each of them. Thats bad when you may have 20 wireless networks at the same time.

SRX660