Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help badly with my XP

• Please log in to reply

mrin

mrin

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
hi..
i need some desperate help as my laptop has stopped all sound.. no system sounds (during log in,log out,email etc), no sound from video/audio files. files do get played on the media players, but no sound comes.. checked everythg, reinstalled the sound drivers,no cables as its laptop speakers , nthg.. It happend all of a sudden yesterday. The same day had problems with sporder.dll being removed(i thnk by my mcafee,sorry if i am wrong). but fixed it with winsockXPfix and reinstalling mcafee privacy service. Then later after seeing the no sound, found out i had media access , but after goin through the forums , uninstalled it. Ran a hijackthis and got log which didnt mention anythg abt mediaAcck (isnt that what needed to go?)

But my laptop still doesnt have sound. Its a Dell with XP home edition.

Please Help

thanks in advance

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Do you still see the sound card listed in your hardware profile under the control panel? I know you just reinstalled the drivers, but does the sound card have any problems as per the hardware profile list?

mrin

mrin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
hi,
everything looks very much ok in the device manager list. I had uninstalled Sigmatel C-major audio which was the driver listed under audio,video and game controllers. I installed them again. Please do help me. I am at my wits end. Does the problems i mentioned have anything to do with audio? Because these all happened the same day.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If all looks OK in device manager, have you double clicked the speaker in the system tray, and look to see if any MUTE boxes are checked

mrin

mrin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yes,i checked. Its not in mute.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hate to step on Magus toes as he was helping you, but since he has gone off line.....

Right click the soundcard in device manager, then choose uninstall...reboot.

Windows will redetect it on restart and reload the drivers

mrin

mrin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
hi gerryf,

i did the uninstall and reboot. windows installed it automatically.. but still no sound.. i am really going out of my mind here..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Interesting,
Tell you what, download sporder.dll (this file is used by malware and legitimate programs, though I have never heard it used by soundcards)

http://www.bleepingc...les/sporder.php

place it in c:\windows\system32

mrin

mrin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
hmm .. i tried doing that, but it said its already existing. I thnk that happend when we used the fix yesterday. before the fix was done, net was not accessible , bredband or the dial up.. but thats ok now. its after this, may be a couple of hrs, the sound suddenly went off.. what do i do now? is reformatting the only option in front of me?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Now THAT i expected if sporder.dll was missing. It is part of the winsock....

Got some headphones? Plug it in the headphone jack and see if there is sound

Also, start > run
eventvwr.msc
enter

Lookunder system for Red Xs that have occured since the problem began

Advertisements

mrin

mrin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, thats the explanation we got.. but now i am not much sure of whats happening with my machine.

with the head phones and mike i ran the test hardware too.. test was ok, but when i speak thru the mike to test it, it does recognise my voice, but no playback happens(i dont remeber if playback has to happen along.). no sound through the headphone even when i play media files. to pin point the exact scenario when the sound vanishes, we had connected our paltop to the tv to see a video. It was then we realised there was no sound. the same video i had checked abit before in the laptop and there was sound. :tazz:

nothing turned up in Red X in Application in the event viewer..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of laptop is it? Oh, and how did you connect it? S-video cable?

mrin

mrin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
hi i ran the test sound hardware again.. but it is not recognising my voice this time around at all and gave the message that sound could not be recognised. earlier at least that used to happen.

Its Dell inspiron 5150 and we use s-video cables.

javiergil

javiergil

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
have u try a restore>?

mrin

mrin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
have not ever tried it and not very sure of it and what exactly results from it. But was thnking of doing a full format and reisntallation of everything.. i really hope that is not needed.