Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Startup trouble

• Please log in to reply

kelltech

kelltech

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hello-
I just changed a bad chipset fan on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board (which was working fine beforehand) and now I can't get it past the Asus splash screen. It will not allow me to enter setup by hitting "del" on the keyboard either. The Asus splash stays onscreen, it doesn't go black or anything. Also no beeps, no error message...no clues :)

Has anyone got any suggestions of what I can try to get a boot? Thank you for any help!

*Running XP pro

Edited by kelltech, 06 February 2008 - 05:41 PM.

Advertisements

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
UPDATE:

I just checked everything again, all connections are solid. RAM, video card...everything is tight, but I'm still staring at the Asus screen, and "del" still won't let me into setup. It seems as if the keyboard isn't responding (no lights and no response) so I tried a different keyboard and still nothing. Both keyboards I tried are PS/2. There is a green light on the board that is lit when I attach the power.

Is this how it could react if that chipset on the board fried when the fan went out?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try clearing the cmos, there is a jumper on the motherboard(check your manual) move it from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3.
Unplug the computer and remove the motherboard battery for 10 minutes.

Move the jumper back to pins 1&2, replace the battery and plug the computer in. If it starts go into bios and load the defaults, save and exit

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Ahhh...I got it! In case someone runs into this problem, here is what I did:

I unplugged all drives from the board, removed all but one RAM, unplugged everything from the pc except the monitor, power and ps/2 board. It let me in to BIOS, so I began adding items beginning with the 3 USB devices I have and it's my printer that is hanging it up. Go figure :)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Great news thanks for letting us know, and a nice piece of trouble shooting you did there