Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spyware message [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi everyone.

I wonder if you could help me with this retro-problem. I say retro because out of lack of time I had to format the computer. Still, I wonder what malware I had and what is the solution for it's removal.

A computer was brought to me with a screen-wide message, yellow on blue, which told me (I don't remember the exact text) that I spyware was discovered and I need to install an antispyware program (not a specific one).

The computer would boot up to the logon screen and when I logged this message would show up, covering the entire screen for 30 seconds or so, the computer will start a log off and go back to the log-on screen. This exact phenomena happened in safe mode, last good confuguration etc. No way to boot up.

I rigged the hard disk to another computer and in safe mode ran AVAST, AVG Antispyware, Spybot. AD-Aware, AVG free antivirus anf a 19 days trial version of Kasperski. There were lots of high-risk malwares of all strips. However, the particular one was not found and removed. I still couldn't boot. Eventually I clean formatted.

I searched on the net but couldn't find any solution. The problem, in a minor version, is familiar but not on the scale I am talking about, which prevented me from any form of booting up.

Any one knows what the problem and solution are?

Thanks in advance.

The Skeptic

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Hello

That sounds like Smitfraud

It hijacks your desktop background and tries to get users to buy a fake anti-spyware program, saying their PC is infected.

Not too tough to remove :)

I usually have those logs fixed in less than 10 posts.

Any more questions ?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks a lot, Rorschach112.

This will be my last question, as I do not intend to become a malware expert right now.

I believe that for this you run smitfraud fix, isn't it? Can you run it on a computer that is not bootable in any mode?

Thanks again / The Skeptic

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Hello

I believe that for this you run smitfraud fix, isn't it? Can you run it on a computer that is not bootable in any mode?

Yes you need to run SmitfraudFix in Safe Mode. If a computer can't run in any mode then you are going to have some trouble. I am not sure how you would go about fixing that actually. No doubt it would be something complicated like using the Recovery Console.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Like I said, that was my last question.

Many thanks.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.