Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

message rules in Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have message rules set up in Outlook Express so that emails I get from certain people and places are highlighted with different colors so they stand out. Unfortunately, things that I don't have marked to highlight are being highlighted (People and Places I've never even heard of) and ones that I do have set up to be highlighted are NOT being highlighted. I removed all my message rules and started over again, but the same thing is still happening. Can you explain why this happens and how it can be fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

S. Gilson

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Simplify the setup.
Just tell it to highlight the messages in question and don't bother with not highlighting anything else. By default messages are not highlighted anyway so its pointless telling OE to do it.
Alternatively an element of lateral thinking is required because the rules are processed in the order they're seen in in the list. So you may need to alter the order of the rules.

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
What exactly do you mean by simplifying the setup? I changed the order of the rules, but things that aren't even close to what I've asked to highlight are being highlighted. By that, the whole idea is worthless if it doesn't do what you're asking it to do.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
By simplify, I mean break it down into smaller chunks or eliminate certain rules on a temporary basis. Outlook Express doesn't highlight things for fun or to be awkward, you've told it to do that. This is usually caused by an erroneous rule that is either incorrect OR is in the wrong position from a logical point of view.