Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I built it! Thank you for help, just a few questions

• Please log in to reply

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Guys!

I was here a while back seeking advice for a new build, i never built one before and was very excited. All the parts came yesterday and i took my time putting it together and it is beautiful.

I want to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and opinions with those of us who are seeking it.

I have a couple more questions now though.

My system is as follows:

XVGA 780i SLI mobo

4GB dual channel ram

two XFX 8800 GTS video cards in sli

Q6600 2.4Ghz cpu

seagate 500GB hard drive

Vista home premium

I am having some issues, and being a first timer i am unsure how to tackle them:

1) My computer is only recognizing 2.5 Gigs of ram. I know that vista 32 bit will not recognize all 4 gigs, but shouldnt it be recognizing more than 2.5?

2) My hard drive was OEM, it says 500 GB but when i installed it (before i even installed windows) it showed up as 466GB, is that normal?

3) When i boot/reboot it always stops and says "floppy disk failure, press f1 to continue or del for setup" i dont have a floppy drive installed, and when i press f1 it loads windows just fine, is there something i need to do in the BIOS to get it to just load windows without prompting me like this?

4) Lastly, since it is my first build, i am paranoid about the temps inside, i have a tuniq tower installed, and the case is an antec 900, it has 4 case fans and the PS fan. Can someone recommend a program for monitoring case temps (cpu, gpus, etc..)? preferably something that doesnt leave a big footprint on my system.

5) OK one more. Is there a good way to benchmark my sytems performace, so that i can compare it to other similar systems and see if my hardware is performing as it should? I have no idea if i am really getting the performance i should outta my two 8800 GTSs etc...

Ok thanks again for taking the time. I promise ill be outta your hair soon as i get these issues resolved :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

1) My computer is only recognizing 2.5 Gigs of ram. I know that vista 32 bit will not recognize all 4 gigs, but shouldnt it be recognizing more than 2.5?

There are alot of depending factors on this.
1. The amount of USB devices you have connected to your computer at any given time.
2. The amount of hard drives.
3. The amount of RAM your video cards have.
4. Also, I have known the 680i chipset to "eat" a lot of available RAM, the 780i could be the same or worse. Because it's such a new chipset there is little known about it at this time in terms of issues.

2) My hard drive was OEM, it says 500 GB but when i installed it (before i even installed windows) it showed up as 466GB, is that normal?

Yes this is normal. Microsoft measures data in GiB form, hard drive manufactures measure in GB form. There is a ~7% difference between the two measurement standards.

3) When i boot/reboot it always stops and says "floppy disk failure, press f1 to continue or del for setup" i dont have a floppy drive installed, and when i press f1 it loads windows just fine, is there something i need to do in the BIOS to get it to just load windows without prompting me like this?

Obviously your computer is searching for a floppy disk when booting up. This can be disabled within your BIOS, however unless you have some knowledge about using the BIOS I strongly urge you not to adjust anything as you could cause more harm then good. I'd give you a step by step guide on how to do it, however I do not have the same BIOS, so that's not possible. Perhaps someone with the same or similar BIOS may be able to assist you with this issue.

5) OK one more. Is there a good way to benchmark my sytems performace, so that i can compare it to other similar systems and see if my hardware is performing as it should? I have no idea if i am really getting the performance i should outta my two 8800 GTSs etc...

3dmark06 is a popular one. It is sysnthetic, so I wouldn't worry to much about the score it produces. In all seriousness, I'd take a game such as crysis and run the benchmark tools. I'd then compare my scores to others to verify if mine were similar.

James

Edited by james_8970, 06 February 2008 - 10:20 AM.

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
wow thanks for the quick response james, that is helpful.

I am dissappointed that all that ram isnt being seen by the operating system, but if thats the way it goes then thats it i guess.

So far i havnt had any performance issues but it's only been a day. Vista gives me an error whenever i try to run media player and closes it down, but im sure i can resolve that with an update.

Do you know what temps are good ones for a quad core cpu? I downloaded a prog called coretemp, and it shows the temp of each individual core, as i am typing this it says 31, 32, 26, 26 (celsius i assume). Only reason i am so concerned is i know how easy it is to screw up the whole cpu/heatsink/thermal paste process and i had a couple wrinkles while doing it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What's the serial number of your CPU? This should be on the box somewhere.
James

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
lol theres alot of numbers but none of them say "serial".

PROD CODE: BX80562Q6600SLACR

MM#: 891337

FPO/BATCH #: L727B378

VERSION #: E10342-001 1.35V MAX

if none of these are what yur lookin for theres also a EAN and UPC numbers.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

PROD CODE: BX80562Q6600SLACR

Sorry, but that was the one I wanted :)
It's a G0 stepping which means this processor can get up to 71*C before you enter the danger zone. You want to always stay below this point.
James

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ah i see, i am fine now but we will have to see what happens when i give it something intense to so.

Another question (sorry they keep poping up) i installed an OEM ethernet adapter, it is an intel PWLA8391GT 10/100/1000Mbps PCI PRO/1000 GT.

My mobo has two ethernet ports on it. Do i need to disable these?

The adapter seems to be working as is (using it now) i just wanna be sure i am getting the most out of it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Some motherboards automatically remove the onboard stuff some don't. As long as it's working and you aren't receiving any error messages as a result I believe it's safe to say your motherboard as automatically disabled the onboard ethernet card.
James

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok i think that resolves all the issues i have had so far. Except for a software/game issue, but i will be googling that one. Thank you for your time james!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem, glade I could help :)
James