Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recomended build

• Please log in to reply

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
I got myself the computer recomended by the tech academy!Looks great,the case is a bit too fancy but i'll get used to it!
Now for the one i'll be using at home,i want to add a 1000GB HDD,a Samsung TFT22" SM2232BW and a second optical drive.Do you foresee any problems with that?
I'm thinking of getting a Blu Ray RW,is it worth it or is it to early?
BTW:I got them with W/xp home,i dont believe Vista is quiet ready for me yet :)

Edited by zorba the geek, 06 February 2008 - 10:15 AM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Now for the one i'll be using at home,i want to add a 1000GB HDD,a Samsung TFT22" SM2232BW and a second optical drive.Do you foresee any problems with that?

None at all. Just one thing to keep an eye for is if you plan on watching HD content, this isn't a 1080P compatible monitor.

I'm thinking of getting a Blu Ray RW,is it worth it or is it to early?

I'd personally get a combo drive as the fat lady hasn't sung as to who won the HD war yet. However because there are no writers on the market as of yet, I still consider it too early.

James

Edited by james_8970, 06 February 2008 - 11:08 AM.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi james_8970

I remember ,you're one of the guy's who put the system to gether.Thanks a million!I went straight to the salesman,gave him my list and told him to put it together!What a feeling,the guy did'nt even argue with me,he properly thought i know about computers :) My first PC (from the same store)was.......,believe me I got screwed!This time,thanks to you guy's "I got myself a PC that can handle what i ask of it!

I want the TFT mostly for homevideo,i'm crazy about my grand kids,if they poke their noses,i've got it on disc :) That's one reason i need the 1000GB HDD.

You see,the salesguy want to sell me a LG Blu-Ray/DvD RW!After reading your comment,i checked on the net for the specs and you're right,it reads B/Ray but burns only DvD's!Tomorrow i go and knock his teeth out :) (only joking)

Thanks again to the tech's who put the PC together

charlie

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

You see,the salesguy want to sell me a LG Blu-Ray/DvD RW!After reading your comment,i checked on the net for the specs and you're right,it reads B/Ray but burns only DvD's!Tomorrow i go and knock his teeth out

It's also important to note that your camcorder likely does not record in 1080P, so there would be no advantage in having a Blu ray drive in the first place. :)
James

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi james_8970!
First,i've got the PC up and running,gosh it is fast!!No comparison to my old one(only 2yrs. old)!Secondly i took your advise and got a LG DVD ROM RW+/- HD-GGW-H20L.I must tell you,i am very happy with the set-up.
I own a Sony HDR-SR7E,now i dont know wether it is the videocard or the TFT but the picture quality was never as clear&sharp as it is now!
BTW:i've purchased 3 more PC's for my office,to replace some laptops,my staff is very happy with the setup&speed!Just to let you guy's know that the suggested build also works well in an office!

:) :)

cheers
zorba

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Good to hear :)
James

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi james& Wannabe1!
I strongly believe that the component list for the suggested build should be posted again in this forum!If i had not PM Wannabe1 to get the list,i dont know what i would have purchased!Not everybody knows how to build a good PC,so we rely on ready build PC's offered at various retailstores and end up with junk!
So ,think about it and put the suggested build back in its rightfull place!Great work ,all of you!

Regards
zorba the geek

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Hi james& Wannabe1!
I strongly believe that the component list for the suggested build should be posted again in this forum!If i had not PM Wannabe1 to get the list,i dont know what i would have purchased!Not everybody knows how to build a good PC,so we rely on ready build PC's offered at various retailstores and end up with junk!
So ,think about it and put the suggested build back in its rightfull place!Great work ,all of you!

Regards
zorba the geek

It'll be back :)
We are making a few adjustments in terms of the content on the parts to give people a better idea of what they are purchasing. It should be back up within a week.
James