Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Video Card on Laptops

• Please log in to reply

Ness

Ness

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
My Dell Inspiron 5160 is almost 3 years old now. I keep it spotless as far as malware goes but the video card is really out of date. Barring the difficulty of taking apart a laptop, is it possible to upgrade a video card on my laptop with relative ease.

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Ouch, to upgrade graphic card for a lappy is quite though.. I never has an Inspiron (I use Precision).. Based on your model, your lappy use AGP slot for VGA card, which makes it even harder to find such VGA card for lappy in the market.. however, should you find one, all you need is some gut to remove all screws and time to re-assemble your lappy.. also don't forget to apply thermalpaste between your VGA core and the heatsink :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Upgrading video on a laptop is basically impossible especially with the branded systems.

Other than for some high-end gamer systems, the vid cards are integrated into the mobo. Thus, to change a vid card means changing the motherboard.

With Dell being as propriatary as they are, that would be a basic impossibility.

Murray

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Your best bet is to go to the manufacturers site and see what if any video upgrades are available... Since it is a dell it is possible I have run into both toshiba and dell lappys with replaceable video... note the upgrade usually ain't much unless it's a VERY hi-end lappy and even then it's probably limited.... that's how they get you to buy a new one.

Ness

Ness

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
Thanks for the info guys :)