Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about flash website development...

• Please log in to reply

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I'm wondering if I can make a website entirely in flash, then put it in html, well, this is exactly what I'm thinking of, here is an example, www.endlessocean.com Notice how when you go to www.endlessocean.com then you come to an HTML page, then you click "enter site" to go to the flash content. I'm wondering if I can do the same thing, and have the search engines actually find my site, optimizing the HTML page instead of trying to optimize the flash page...

Hope someone's knowledgable enough about SEO to help me.. :)
-AgentMES

Edited by AgentMES, 06 February 2008 - 11:13 AM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello AgentMES,

Yes this is possible, as you yourself have linked to an example of it. Flash isn't the best way to build a website, it's best just to use it for added content, rather than basing the whole website on it. You can improve the search engine ranking by adding meta keywords and descriptions that are specific to the website. It may be more difficult to rank high without a cross-site navigation system, but I'm sure you can come up with something.

Having everything in Flash can also be quite annoying to some users, so you may want to take that into consideration as well.

Regards,

Ax

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Ahh, Thank you very much Ax238! I have the most experience in flash website design, and I think flash is SUPER neat when it comes to interactive content! I hope flash becomes more "search engine friendly" soon! :)

Thanks again for your help,
-AgentMES

Edited by AgentMES, 06 February 2008 - 12:11 PM.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Having everything in Flash can also be quite annoying to some users, so you may want to take that into consideration as well.

Oh, You know in that case I would run a poll, seeing if my audience likes the website layout etc. Also have a feedback section where people can send me feedback. :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Glad I could help.

The only way flash would become more search-engine friendly is if the movie provided a document that the search engines could crawl and index that way. Otherwise, Flash movies are compiled objects and that makes them impossible to read with current crawler technology. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Ax

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Thank you very much Ax238, I do have one more question, How do you put flash IN flash? I have a .fla and I want to put a .swf file into the .fla, it's a flash advertisement animation. But when I put the .swf into the .fla then it's just blank... So i'm stumped... :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts

I would run a poll, seeing if my audience likes the website layout etc.

Good idea.

How do you put flash IN flash?

You have a few options:
  • The loadMovie method can be used to load one .swf file into another.
  • You can open both .fla files and copy the timeline of one into the other.
  • You can convert one .fla file into a movieclip and drag and drop that into the second .fla
Keep in mind when combining .fla files, objects with the same name will cause conflict.

Ax

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

[*]You can convert one .fla file into a movieclip and drag and drop that into the second .fla
Ax

Sorry, but I've never heard of Converting a .fla into a moviclip.. How would I go about doing that?
-AgentMES

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Use File | Open as Library to search for and import the .fla you have that you want to use. Now it appears in the Library as a symbol that you can drag out to the stage as many times as you need to.

Remember to create a new layer for each movie clip you import or create and to use Control | Test Movie to see your movie.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Ahh, Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try, thank you so much for the help Ax238! :) :)

-AgentMES

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
No problem at all :)