Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

iexplore.exe error message

• Please log in to reply

mxd6

mxd6

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
iexplore.exe error message

On start-up I get this iexplore.exe error message:

WINDOWS CAN NOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIC DEVICE, PATH OR FILE. YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE PERMISSIONS TO ACCESS THE ITEM.

The every 5-10 mins. it returns. You must then X out to close.
Any idea what this might be?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• iexplore.exe_warning.JPG

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello mxd6,

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Regards,

Ax

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks Ax,

I was hoping someone would recognize the message was a MS explorer problem that others have encountered.
If this was the case if would save countless hours running all my programs in SAFE MODE. Also, I don't think it is logical to treat everything as Malware. With the size of my drive the process would take one complete day or more.
I look at it as a process of elimination. Save time and then go deep if Malware is the issue.
I've run all my programs with nothing other than cookies.
Hopefully this is a software issue vs. Malware.

Thanks for your reply!

Time will tell.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
mxd6,

Without the assurance that your system is clean, we are just wasting our time.

Also, I don't think it is logical to treat everything as Malware.

Nor do I, but yours definitely does sound like a malware issue.

With the size of my drive the process would take one complete day or more.

It may, not every computer problem encountered is one that can be fixed by the click of a button.

I look at it as a process of elimination. Save time and then go deep if Malware is the issue.

You are correct, we do use a process of elimination to resolve issues, we check for malware first if it is suspected. Checking for malware is the way that you save time.

Now, if you have no doubt in your mind that your system is clean and you do not wish to post a HJT log even for good measure, we can continue here.

What antivirus program do you use?
Do you have any other security software on your system?
Do you have any toolbars installed in IE?

Ax

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ax,

Good to hear we are on the same page and I have an update for you.
MS has been trying to upgrade me to IE7.....so I finally broke down and uploaded for IE6 including all the other updates.
Well guess what? It's gone. No more messages. Now if this is the new way MS is "converting" everyone over, who knows but it seem awful strange.

Anyway, to answer you question, I have quite the software Spyware/Malware array of defenses.

- Trend Micro PC -clin Internet Security
- Yahoo (browser based) Anti-Spy (Norton)
- Spy Hunter
- SUPER Antispyware
- AGV Anti-Spy
- Spyware Blaster
- MS Defender
- MS Rootkit advisor

FYI
- Registry Mechanic
- Window Washer

I run all these programs on a regular basis and some each day.
What one misses the others pick out and remove.
So to be honest the problem is no more.

Thanks for your assistance and we'll see you again in the future.
So far I have never personally had a problem until this came up.
With MS you never know!

Mike

CONSIDER THIS CLOSED.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the update. That is strange, I still have IE6 and have no problems like that. Maybe it was a browser helper or ActiveX control that was installed and causing the issue or maybe some system files/settings got corrupted. I guess we really won't know now, but it's great to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Looks like you have quite a great panoply of malware fighting utilities. One thing that I also researched and found is that the issue can also be caused by -believe it or not- the security programs themselves. Many of them generate rules as to what can run and what can't. Honestly, I'd suspect that with consideration for your list, rather than a devious plan from MS.

Cheers,

Ax

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ax,

Too be honest IE7 is something I do not prefer nor like whatsoever. My provider is ATT/Yahoo but I run two different e-mail addresses. I may switch back again (it would be the second time) due to the toolbar issues. With IE6 both could be managed with Merriam-Webster dictionary tool bar. So all three were a joy to have. Now I'm finding trying to save favorites is impossible unless I go full blown MS.
Good point regarding the "list" but I haven't had the problem in the past.
I hate IE7 and will likely go back to what I, yes I prefer instead of what someone else wants me to do.
I do pay for extra space on the Hotmail account because this is the "main" one and not my provider.
I need to room for just the junk mail I receive. So far I'm a zillionaire from all the lotto's I've won!!
Thanks again Ax. I'll keep you updated if things change for the worse.
I wish MS was like Burger King's attitude - have it your way.
Old Bill didn't make his billions serving fast food!!

Take care,
Mike

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Mike,

Rather than going through the hassle of uninstalling IE7, you may appreciate this:
Install multiple versions of IE on your PC | TredoSoft

At least give it a try and see if it works for you. I sympathize with you, as a fellow zillionaire lottery winner. :)

Ax

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ax,

Thanks for the option. I'll have to give this a closer look.
I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again.
Mike

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Sounds good Mike, glad to assist.