Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build & RAM question

• Please log in to reply

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Got myself all the nice new hardware to build my pc with the following main components:
CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Go stepping CPU
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
Graphics Card : 8800 GTS Overclocked
2 x SATA 2 500GB HDD's
RAM : Kingston 4GB RAM (2 sets of 1GB matched pairs giving 2 GB per pair = 4 stick in total) which I intend to run dual channel

My problem is that I intend to use XP Pro 32 bit version (I should have looked in to this before buying the RAM). I beleive that XP will either not work or will not recognise the 4 GB RAM. As all my software & games are 32 bit versions (I think), it would be a futile exercise installing XP 64 bit version.

Therefore, I think my only options are:
a) Install only 2GB RAM
b) Install only 2 GB RAM and run dual channel
c) Install only 3 GB RAM (if possible) and don't run dual channel
d) Leave 4 GB RAM installed and don't run dual channel
e) Leave 4 GB RAM installed and run dual channel and hope for the best

There are a lot of postings out there concerning XP Pro and the amount of RAM it can operate with, but many of the postings are contradictory and nothing seems definitive.

Appreciate if any techies out there can tell me what my best option would be.

TIA

Edited by BIGEYE, 06 February 2008 - 01:54 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I personally need as much RAM as I can get on my 32bit OS. So I have 4GB installed. As long as you are using XP, 2GB should be enough as it's not as much of a resource hog as vista.
James