Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is Not Booting & Making Noise

• Please log in to reply

ki0101

ki0101

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello all - I am feeling like I am a killer of machinery. I have broken 2 computers and a car in a 6 hour period. I know i am not the real cause, but when it rains......

Anyway, my computer is making a humming/buzzing noise (sounds like a wire hitting the fan). I have not fully investigated since I noticed this at 4am. I know there are no wires hitting any of the fans. When I try to reboot, the system is looping... I goes to the Windows load screen and reboots itself....

I figure it can be any of the following:
1. Fan over the cpu is gone/going
2. The hard drive is going
3. I have a fan on my video card - maybe thats going/gone

Is there anything else I need to check? I will be investigating further this evening but would appreciate any suggestions as to additional items I may need to check. I did not download any new software and my system was working fine earlier in the evening. Your help is appreciated in advance.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
The sound is most likely either the drive is going or the fan bearings are wearing out.

I would suggest running DFT on the drive first. http://www.hitachigs...32_v411_b00.iso

Burn the .iso image to a CD and boot to it.

Edited by Cilix, 06 February 2008 - 02:17 PM.