Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC will not recognize Win XP disc to install

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JustCS3

JustCS3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I helped my little brother build a computer with purchases from TigerDirect so I figured I'd do the same.
Well, that hasn't worked.
For one thing, the same bundle package he got was not available when I did it. His was almost seemless compared to my nightmare.
When I installed my new PC Chips Intel board (My old one is PC Chips AMD), it tried to boot from my orignial IED HDD but I got the blue screen. I tried to start Windows normally and Safe Mode and got the same thing. I tried all the other things to keep my original install and just get it to install new drivers but none worked. It won't even attempt to install Windows for repair, keeps saying "insert bootable media."
I purchased a new SATA HDD, a new system fan and a new PSU with an SATA plug, since I decided to just build a whole new PC and just transfer my files later.
I get the same thing and it's like it is not reading any disc I place in the CDRom. I even tried to install Windows ME just to get it up and was then going to upgrade to XP, I have both discs.
Lastly, I can't even purchase the Vista Basic upgrade b/c the new PC has no OS on it. I can't see myself purchasing a whole new copy of Windows or Vista when I shouldn't have to. I just can't see why it won't read the any disc but it recognizes it in BIOS.
Bios, I forgot. I have tryed every configuration is BIOS I can think of. I've even set it to only boot from the CD, same thing. It recognizes all the drives, the order (Master - Slave) is correct. The last time I tried, I had the CDRom connected to the IED and the SATA HDD and that's it. Same error.
Since it tried to boot from my original IED HDD with Windows installed, I know that everything seems to be working right.

By the way, my XP disc is from 2001 or older. It is a copy of an install disc from Gateway. I purchased my PC legally and have my original KEY printed on the original case. However, like many people out there, the HSN did not provide me with a full install disc but only a minor recovery one. I have used the disc I have numerous times with no prior problems, including when I built my brother's PC. He used his own key.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

It is a copy of an install disc from Gateway. I purchased my PC legally and have my original KEY printed on the original case. However, like many people out there, the HSN did not provide me with a full install disc but only a minor recovery one. I have used the disc I have numerous times with no prior problems, including when I built my brother's PC. He used his own key.

Howdy:

Unfortunately, what you are trying to do is illegal and against Microsoft's EULA for both you and your brother.

The cd you are trying to use is OEM and is married to the system it came with forever - yes, that means even if the old computer is buried in a landfill.

You did NOT buy the program, only the right to use it according to the EULA.

Buy a legal version of XP or Vista WITH a legal key code and you should be good to go.

As it stands, I will be closing this thread.

BTW, I also wiped the post you made concerning this problem from the thread you hijacked.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 06 February 2008 - 02:41 PM.