Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Disk Space - Gigabytes!

• Please log in to reply

ftballtw

ftballtw

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
This is a desktop Sony Vaio with a 200 GB HD, 180 after operating system. It shows I have only 71 GB left and I just do not have that many programs on it. A while back I used system commander by VCOM so I could add linux on a separate partition, but it instead landed on the same partition and erased the hard drive! I restored with the Sony Vaio recovery disks I made and followed the steps provided by VCOM to remove system commander from my computer which I did and messed everything up again! I went through recovery again to get it back to normal but now I am missing a lot of space. I am sure I am using less than 40 GB and do not store a lot of files on that computer. I went to control panel>administrative tools> disk management But I see no extra partitions. I am scratching my head on this one. I would really appreciate any ideas to the cause of my missing space.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Do you have SP2 installed? Xp will only let you use 137G but installing SP2 should let windows see the rest of the drive, you should also be able to create another partition with the remander of the drive using disk managment

ftballtw

ftballtw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, I have SP2. Originally I had plenty of hard drive space until this incident with system commander, which is why I suspect something to do with that.

ftballtw

ftballtw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well , much to my chagrin, I downloaded Tree file free and ran it and found I have 95 GB in Documents and Settings! I have to do much more cleaning! Thanks.

ftballtw

ftballtw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I thought I should come back and post this. I have Roxio DVD Creator and DVDFab and I had deleted all the projects but using the tree file I found that they both save all files in a folder hidden in the programs! There was my missing space! 88GB worth! So I selected all and put them in the East Tec file shredder because if you just delete files they remain on your hard drive until overwritten , so they still take up space. So it is better to shred. :)