Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Port Problems

• Please log in to reply

AgentQ

AgentQ

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well anyway, for some strange reason, my USB ports (all of them, I've tried) don't work completely. Whenever plugging something in (IE: Flash Drive, MP3 Player,etc.) the computer will acknowlege the device, and in the case of a device that requires the USB ports to charge IN ADDITION TO no additional input by the device itelf (in the case of some MP3 players), it will charge with no problems. HOWEVER, the device will not appear in 'My Computer', thus rendering any USB storage devices essentially useless.

Advertisements

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Plug it in and check your Device Manager. I've had problems using public computers already where the person before me didn't remove their flash drive properly, they disabled it in the Device Manager and when I plugged mine in the drivers were already there and the PC recognised it, but it was still disabled, thus not showing up in My Computer.

AgentQ

AgentQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did that, and the object appears, but with a yellow exclamation point on it...Will edit in a screenshot once it uploads..

Posted Image

Also, the windows installer opens once I plug the object (In this case, a PSP) in, which doesn't normally happen. Running it, the installer fails.

Edited by AgentQ, 07 February 2008 - 04:24 PM.

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hmm...I don't have a PSP so I'm really at a loss here, but maybe this link will help you out:

http://www.psp-vault...pic-topic-9.psp

AgentQ

AgentQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The problem isn't specific to my PSP, it does the same thing for EVERYTHING USB based that I use. My PSP was just what I had handy.

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
What does right-clicking on the object and selecting Properties in Device Manager say?

AgentQ

AgentQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm at a loss here...I can only suggest that MAYBE something is wrong with the generic USB drivers Windows enables whenever you insert such a device. Other than that, I really don't know. Sorry.

AgentQ

AgentQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Bah, thanks anyway.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Follow directions in the MS article, see if that helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

If not, Try this, often helps:

Shutdown and unplug all USB devices.
Boot to BIOS Setup and load defaults (F5 or F9 usually).
Boot XP, open a command prompt, enter set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1. Leave the command prompt window open.
Open Device Manager, click on View then Show hidden devices. Scroll down to USB and click on the plus to expand it. Uninstall them one at a time. DO NOT uninstall your mouse if you are using a USB mouse.
Shutdown and reboot, let XP rediscover everything and load necessary drivers. This can take a few minutes, be patient.

Now try the USB device, see what happens.

AgentQ

AgentQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Now, the USB ports failed to install..

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
AgentQ, please elaborate. Do they start to install then fail or do they not reinstall at all?

Try running Add Hardware from Control Panel, see if it finds and installs the USB devices.

If they don't install then there is a hardware or firmware (BIOS) problem. Go into BIOS Setup and load defaults. Save the changes and exit and see what happens when you boot.

AgentQ

AgentQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
They fail to install. I let the installer run through, and it failed.

Also, to make sure I'm not screwing up, how exactly do you go into BIOS setup?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
It varies with each computer maker and BIOS manufacturer, but normally pressing F1 or F2 or F10 or the Del key when you see the computer manufacturers logo will get you there.

You can press each one, one after the other. If you can't get there then post the make/model of your computer and I should be able to find directions in it's online Users Guide.