Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Start Internet Connction Sharing in Vista

• Please log in to reply

RichardB1

RichardB1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi there, I'm trying to configure a wireless access point on my network for which I believe I need to start ICS. When I try and do this however, I get an error saying "an error occurred while internet connection sharing was being enabled". The system event log shows the following information (event id 7023):

The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated with the following error:
The class is configured to run as a security id different from the caller

If I try to start ICS through services, I get told that ICS started and then stopped with event viewer showing information messages saying the service has stopped. Either way it doesn't start up.

Can anyone shed any light? I'm running Vista Ultimate and I'm trying to setup ICS on a Netgear DG834G modem/router.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need ICS. The router does all that for you.
Just plug all the computers into the router or tell the computers to connect to the router's wireless signal with the appropriate securiy key if set.

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Neil, didn't realise that. I've been looking at the access point instructions and it says that its IP address will be 192.168.1.1 and if my laptop isn't on the 192.168.1.x range then it should be. At present my laptop's IP is 192.168.0.2 and my router 192.168.0.1. Do you think there's any way I can get this to work? I kind of assumed the AP would just be able to be assigned and IP address of my chosing...changing the laptop address seems a bit severe and I'm supremely confident that I'll knacker everything if I try!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If the router's set up properly, it will give out IP addresses to any computer that asks for them wired or wireless, the latter being subject to any security keys you may or may not have set. This includes any devices that connect via the access point.

If in doubt, go back to basics and simplify the setup before you start adding potentially complicated overheads that you probably don't need.

Do you have a wireless router already? If so and all the computers can see it's signal, you don't need a wireless access point, just use the one that the router has.
You only need a wireless access point if the area(s) you want to cover are bigger than the range offered by the wireless router on its own, or if the router is not wireless.

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Neil. I have the router setup and working ok, with my laptop connecting to it. The access point is to try and get my XBox 360 on the network too - apparently it should work if you wire the 360 to the AP. It was just an attempt to get a cheap alternative to the £60 MS Wireless Adaptor...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The Xbox 360 can connect to Xbox Live through an optional wireless network adapter on a home network through a wireless router.

Therefore if your router has wireless already and you have a version of the Xbox that comes with wireless connectivity and this can see the router, you don't need any more hardware.

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I don't have a wireless adapter for my 360, the only way I can connect just now is via an ethernet cable. I got the AP to let me stop having to trail a cable from the 360 to router. That was the plan anyway, but the fact the laptop cannot even see the AP is making me think I'll not get anywhere with it

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The problem with access points may be that its interfering with the wireless signals being sent out from your router. If they're both using the same channel, this may have something to do with it. Log into your router, disable its own wireless aerial (since the wireless LAN adaptor will be doing the same job anyway) and see what happens.