Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I dont know what this is, but i need help fixing it

• Please log in to reply

triplem1075

triplem1075

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Today I turned on the computer and did a bit of browsing, all sites in which I go to on a daily basis. they belong pretty much to youtube, easyphpbb, and userplane.

When i was in user plane chat, this windows installer box appeared, and says it wants to update windows office 2000 premium, i clicked cancel, and it kept on trying to do it. Re appearing, and if i let it do it its saying some error message about it not being able to install without the CD for office then error 1706, blah blah blah cant continue.

I quickly went to adaware, but had to install the new version, then as it was scanning, whatever I clicked on, the task bar, yahoo, internet that [bleep] thing kept trying to pop up and install something.

Then when i'd open my firefox, there was a photo of guitars and guitar pedals and things, I dont know what the address was but it was something like www.knockout/something or other.

Adaware found nothing. My AVG has found nothing. Yahoo flashes around in the task bar, it seems to come when i try to open yahoo and send a message to someone, or it could be cause i'm double clicking, i'm not sure.

At the moment it seems to happen every time I open my yahoo friends list. I can type to them and send them messages etc, but if i have the friends list open, it wont stop trying to install whatever it is doing.

Can anyone tell me what this is and how to fix it?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use the link in my signature and repost in the malware forum.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.