Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't get to login screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

stromgald30

stromgald30

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been working on a few Dell Vostro 400 machines that were recently bought. They have XP Home, 4GB of RAM (only 3.25 GB accessible), DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, Core 2 Duo E6550. I've been installing various programs, but they all seem to fail randomly, where they just don't get to the login screen after a reboot or cold start.

I didn't see any diagnostic lights on the Vostro and there weren't any unusual beeps. The HDD light blinks steadily after the XP splash screen disappears, but nothing else happens. The monitor is still receiving a signal and stays green.

I've been able to get into safe mode and run a system restore, but after restoring and reinstalling the programs, it will fail at some a random boot up sometime later. There's Symantec AntiVirus, SpySweeper installed on there with Office Std 2007, Visio Pro, Acrobat. I'm wondering if there's some problem with software combinations between XP Home and the previously mentioned software.

Frankly, I'm tired of running the system restore and installing everything again (I've done it several times already). Please help, I've never seen this problem before.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Closed: Duplicate

Murray