Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway?

• Please log in to reply

Foxxed

Foxxed

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I have an older Gateway with an MS-6312 Ver:1 MotherBoard

after Checking my PSU with it i figured id set it back up for my sis since her IBM Notebook Craped out on her

But after hooking it all back-up and turning it on its like its stuck in Low power mod-Yellow/Orangeish light, But when i plugged my ATX PSU in it the Green light came on. :)

Anmy idea what it could be..I still have to re-install XP since i whipped it before putting it up so its just an Empty 40Gig HDD and i cant even get the CD drive to open.... :) And Yes the HDD works,I can hear it spinning.

I cant fix`em if i cant get in`em...lol

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sounds to me like the orginal psu is bad

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hmm I have this thing about bad PSU`s

And that really odd cuz we bought that PSU new and only used it about 3months before i screwed up Windows ME

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well what I would do for a test is put the known working psu in it and load windows to make sure everthing is ok then you will know for sure

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hmm i guess thats the only thing To do

But um running it With my ATX PSU wont hurt it will it???

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If you already tried it once then you would know by now. As near as I can tell thats a msi board so a standart atx will work. Take a good look at the capacitors on the motherboard (can looking things) do any of the tops look like they are buldged or leaking a brown supstance?

There are some reports of that board having weak caps

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

If you already tried it once then you would know by now. As near as I can tell thats a msi board so a standart atx will work. Take a good look at the capacitors on the motherboard (can looking things) do any of the tops look like they are buldged or leaking a brown supstance?

There are some reports of that board having weak caps

Hmm yea i guess i should..But i only tried it For a sec to make sure my PSU still worked (When the green light came on i un-plugged it)

Well i was putting the HDD back in it and putting a new Fan on the PSU and i didn't notice any odd looking Capacitors...

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Ok i guess is the Capacitors...I went though EVERY thing on it today and i found about 4-5 Caps that the tops are bulging....I`m still getting power to the CPU,HDD and Fan but i`m still just a yellow light

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Time to replace the motherboard or retire the system, if the caps are buldged the next step is leaking and you won't get it to run right.

Here's some pics just to be sure

bad caps

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Yep thats what they look like Xp

lol if i was to buy a new MB for it
what would i be able to use since the one in it is no bigger then a piece of notebook paper

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You would be best to find the original board if not the gateway restore disks won't work

heres some on ebay