Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

firewall question

• Please log in to reply

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
What do you guys recommend for a free firewall? Do you prefer Zone alarm or Comodo? I appreciate any positive responses.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Comodo is a full-featured firewall which leaves nothing out - there's just one version and it's free. ZoneAlarm (the free version) on the other hand is a 'cut-down' basic version based on ZoneAlarm Pro (which isn't free). On that basis I would choose Comodo rather than a basic cut-down one. But it depends on your level of experience. ZoneAlarm is basic and simple to set up and understand whereas Comodo requires a little extra input and knowledge about what the various settings mean. The bottom line is that Comodo is a good, strong firewall and highly configurable. ZoneAlarm free is not.

However, despite it's limitations, ZA is still the most used free firewall (but then there aren't many free ones anyway, so that's nothing to brag about)

On a final, personal note -- I've used them both. ZoneAlarm gave me problems (sometimes failing to load). Comodo gave me no problems whatsoever.

I've since moved on to a commercial "all in one" package called kaspersky internet security. Choice based on it's reputation, independant reviews, and reasonable cost. No regrets.

Edited by pip22, 07 February 2008 - 09:03 PM.