Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WindowXP will not save settings at exit

• Please log in to reply

Spookyfate

Spookyfate

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been trying to get my operating system to save any changes that I've made. When I set up my email account in Outlook, with user name, password, etc...shortcut icons on the desk top, etc...when I go to restart or shut down and then start up again, I am back to square one, where I get the start menu is open, a window is up to "take a tour"...before I even touch the mouse.
My Outlook account is not saved, the icons that I've created on the desk top is gone.
I've tried to unlock the taskbar/start menu, ran the registry program, reboot and still the same problem.
Can you tell me what to do???

Advertisements

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hello Spookyfate,

Welcome to Geeks to Go,

Please try the following and post back when you have run SFC. No report will be posted on your desktop so reboot after the scan is over which could take sometime.

Please tell us how your computer is performing after the scan.

kind regards,

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between the c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack ie SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC, if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

Edited by tallin, 07 February 2008 - 08:18 PM.