Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE6 autostarting on login

• Please log in to reply

DVCnerfherder

DVCnerfherder

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the OS forum, so I thought I'd start here. My laptop running Win2K was hit with a virus earlier this week and I spent the better part of 2 days cleaning up the mess. I followed the instructions elsewhere on the G2G site to clean things up and it seems to be in good shape with one exception: when I log into Windows, Internet Explorer starts up automatically and tries to connect to website www.drunkenrocket.com and run an ActiveX component. Until I can fix this I've edited the hosts file to have that address point to 127.0.0.1.

I've looked in the various startup folders and the registry but I can't see where this is autostarting. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

- Mike

Advertisements

Tiax

Tiax

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
One thing to try is to go to start|run, and type in msconfig. Then go to the startup tab. This gives a nice list of everthing that comes up when you start windows. Be careful, and don't go unchecking things if you don't know what they are, but if you see IEXPLORE.EXE in there, try unchecking it, and rebooting.

stallionsims

stallionsims

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
hi,
may be you can try Hijack This. It's the best browser hijacker detector and remover.
Use it to restore your startup page in IE.
please lemme know if it is useful.
use this link to download HJT
http://www.merijn.or.../hijackthis.zip

-stallion