Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can my mobo use any Core 2 duos?

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I was wondering if my mobo can support ANY core 2 duos. or Dual core procs?

Specs:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model: 0x8582
chipset: Intel i945p/pl/g/gz
Southbridge: intel 82801gb(ICH7/R)
Socket 775 LGA

I currently have a Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott at 3.0ghz

will i be able to?

EDIT:

is this proc any good?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116299

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 07 February 2008 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Someone else has tried this with some success.

In case anyone is interested or searched in future, I upgraded my P4 630 to a PD 945 without any problem. Even clearing CMOS was not necessary (I disabled HT before removing the old cpu though). One thing to mention is that after reading a few posts on various steppings and compatibility issues, I looked for an e-tailer who guaranteed to ship a newer stepping PD 945 cpu (SL9QQ instead of the older and widely available SL9QB). You might want to look for the latest stepping cpu as well.

Also, I bought my Dimension in July 2005 and the motherboard model is 0X8582.

The Intel PD 945 is the 3.4 Ghz 800fsb processor.

I do not think your MB supports Core2 duo's.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 07 February 2008 - 07:57 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
So i can use http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116299?

thats great!!!

now i need a better PSU :)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153052 this one any good? reviews are pretty good

thanks

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If I remember correctly from an earlier post of yours, you are interested in upgrading this computer for the sake of gaming, correct? Unfortunately, a Pentium D at 3Ghz will not give much of a performance increase over a Pentium 4 at 3Ghz. I would highly recommend saving up for a new motherboard which would support the Core 2 Duos, and in the meantime try to make do with the P4. Your money will be much better spent in the end.

Edited by stettybet0, 07 February 2008 - 08:04 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Oh really?

thanks. I wasn't planning on upgrading my CPU anytime soon. Just checking to see if i can even support it. If my current proc is somewhat the same as this Pent D. then i'll just save up my money.

Im trying on getting a PSU for the 9600gt (400w minimum) so im pretty low on cash right now (man, I need a job)

thanks

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 07 February 2008 - 08:08 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As I suggested in another one of your topics, this PSU is probably one of the cheapest you are going to get, while still maintaining quality. It's $50 after the mail-in rebate.