Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Paragon "DRIVE COPY"

• Please log in to reply

VicGTG

VicGTG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dear Members,

Has anyone managed to understand Paragon's "DRIVE COPY" programme?

I have been trying to get help from the Paragon Forum, but it is a rather quiet Site (unlike the Malware section of this Forum with dozens of postings daily!).

Basically, I would like to copy my entire system (WinXP) along with all my programmes and files from my existing "C" Drive to a new unused Drive of the same make (a Seagate Barracuda IDE Internal Drive) but a larger sized one.

My existing "C" Drive is 40Gb (30Gb used) Fat32 and the new one I have is 160Gb (unused as yet to be formatted in Fat32).

If I can copy the whole "C" Drive over using the "Hot Copy" setting (which I cannot locate as yet!), then the target Drive could be swapped round to become my new "C" Drive and I will disconnect the old "C" source Drive.

I wrote on Paragon's Site at this ref: http://support.parag...hread.php?t=369 but so far, after four or five attempts to find out what to do, there is no effective assistance as yet.

I therefore wonder if any Geek members know about "Drive Copy".

Regards, Victor. 8th Feb 2008.

Edited by VicGTG, 07 February 2008 - 07:28 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't know about Drive Copy, but may I recommend that you format drive as NTFS?

Ron

VicGTG

VicGTG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for writing. Free versions are often given in computer magazines and also Trials are offered by Paragon.

I am sure that they are all good programmes, but you need to be able to master it. I joined their Forum but everyone on there is suffering with problems and so far, help is a little sparse, unlike on Geeks Malware section where Rorschach112 helped me recently to get my system totally clear (for the moment!).

You recommend formatting in NTFS.

Is there any reason why this is better than Fat32 for WinXP ?

I started using computers about 6 years ago and I think most things were in Fat32 then. My "C" Drive is Fat32 and so is my second Internal Drive "D", but I do have 6 other external Drives, four of which are in NTFS (as new).

I had an idea that if you used NTFS for your "C" System Drive, then there are problems in accessing files on Fat32 Drives.

Is that so? If not, there is something that you have to be careful of I remember reading some years ago.

Regards:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
NTFS vs. FAT: Which Is Right for You?

Hope that helps.

Ron

VicGTG

VicGTG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks very much, Ron. Having read and understood most of the article, I am sticking with Fat32 because I have all sorts of older stuff created in that format.

As no one has ever mentioned using "DRIVE COPY", may I enquire what you yourself might use to do what I wish to do i.e. copy my entire system over to a new larger Drive (so that I can have the extra unused space) and so that the target Drive will work as if it was a fully funtional "C" Drive (when I install it in place of my old source "C" Drive) ?

This is an exercise that thousands of people must be doing when wishing to install a larger Drive and do not want to have to re-install all their many programmes and updates, etc. I am looking to do this in Windows XP as I have no knowledge in working with DOS.

If I had just a few programmes, I would not mind starting over, but I have over 80 programmes and many updates, passwords, etc, which I am not sure if I could locate all over again so easily.

As for documents, photos and my 30,000 e-mails in folders in OE-6, these are no problem, as I have these saved and the latter easily restorable (using Alan Price's "Express Assist 6").

It's the 80 plus programmes that I would hate to have to re-install afresh!

Thanks again for any help, which is much appreciated.

Regards:

PS. I have one more query about "PANDA PIS 2008" and I wonder if any members have had problems with a "Panda" file APVXDWIN.EXE causing 99% CPU Usage ? If so, I would be interested in hearing from them.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would have to run down a good program myself. Some people have suggest Norton's Ghost on this forum.

Might think about using an external drive since prices have come way down for them.

Ron