Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port problems

• Please log in to reply

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hippiefreak,

Below is what I can find from the website at Gateway. I couldn't pull anything up under my serial number, but found the drivers for my model of notebook 4520GZ. I downloaded the motherboard chipset twice with no luck.

Media Reader Download
Description File Info

9528293.exe - Gateway M320, 4525GZ, 4520GZ, 4541BZ, 4543BZ, or 4000 Series Memory Card Reader Revision: 1.4.2.10
Supports: Windows XP
Note: This is the Windows XP memory card reader drivers for the Gateway notebook computer models listed below.
8/4/2004
1,594 KB

Modem Downloads
Description File Info

9528291.exe - Gateway M320, 4525GZ, 4520GZ, 4541BZ, 4543BZ, or 4000 Series Conexant V.92 Modem Driver Version: 7.04.01
Note: This is the Windows XP Conexant V.92 modem driver for the Gateway notebook computers listed below.
7/29/2004
2,345 KB

Motherboard Downloads
Description File Info

9528150.exe - Gateway Intel® Chipset Driver Revision: 5.1.1.1002
Note: This file contains the Windows XP Intel Chipset drivers for the Gateway notebook computers listed below.
7/29/2004
2,412 KB

Network Downloads
Description File Info

BCM40100.exe - Broadcom Wireless Driver Version 4.100.15.5
Note: This is the Windows XP Broadcom Wireless driver for the Gateway notebook computer models listed below.
11/28/2006
77,858 KB

D00044-001-001.exe - Calexico 2 / Intel PROSet Wireless Network Card Driver Revision: 8.0.12.9000 / 8.0
Supports: Windows XP, Windows 2000
Note: This file contains the Calexico 2 / Intel PROSet wireless network card driver for the computer models listed below.
3/2/2006
22,319 KB

9528289.exe - Broadcom Wireless Network Card Driver Revision: 3.30.15.0
Note: This is the Windows XP Broadcom 802.11g network adapter driver for the Gateway computer models listed below.
8/4/2004
3,373 KB

9528288.exe - Gateway Realtek Network Driver Version: 5.606.811.2003
Note: This file contains the Windows XP network driver for the Gateway notebook computer models listed below.
7/30/2004
81 KB

Sound Downloads
Description File Info

9528287.exe - Gateway Audio Driver Version: 5.12.1.4010
Note: This is the Windows XP SoundMax audio driver for the Gateway notebook computer models listed below.
8/4/2004
4,404 KB

Touchpad Downloads
Description File Info

9528292.exe - Gateway Touchpad Driver Version: 7.8.9.0
Note: This is the Windows XP touchpad driver for the Gateway notebook computers listed below.
7/29/2004
6,443 KB

Video Downloads
Description File Info

9528285.exe - Gateway Video Drivers Revision: 7.981
Note: This file contains the Windows XP display drivers for the Gateway notebook computers listed below.
8/4/2004
19,958 KB

9528286.exe - Gateway Display Drivers Version: 6.14.10.3762
Note: This is the Windows XP display drivers for the Gateway notebook computers listed below.

Doug,

Yes I rechecked many times regarding the SP2 update. I wanted to uninstall it and reinstall again, but it said something about some programs not working if I unistalled it.

I have 4 usb ports and yes I am definitely having the same problem with all ports. I am definitely using the ac power-I think my battery would lst 10 minutes anyway because it is prett old.

I will go ahead and try the things you suggested.

I am surprised too that running the gateway recovery disk didn't fix the problem. When I ran it, it was like a ghost program (same old ghost logo that symantec had) that I was familiar with in the past. Maybe if the next few steps don't work, I should try to run the recovery disk again.

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Lisa, I'm beginning to think this may be a failing PSU where it's not supplying sufficient power to the USB ports.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Ztruker. :)
my thought too, as you may note I inquired above.

Lisa,

I've recently had experience with laptop power supply purchase.
The one you may get from Gateway, may be significantly more expensive than a "uninversal" power supply from a local shop. Plus, in my own experience, the local shop may allow you to plug it in for a test drive, and you can have a USB device on hand to test for function.
Then you can buy it or not depending upon if it makes a difference.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Would it be a power supply problem if it only indicates each usb port to be using 10% bandwidth? Or I am getting things confused?

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Also I have noticed the laptop runs pretty hot at times. Would this have anything to do with it? WOuld I have to go to a mom and pop shop to test a psu or would they do that anywhere?

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Testing a power supply is not the same as trying out a new one.
Most shops will just put a multimeter on your PSU to test for output voltage.
That won't show how it functions under load.
I'd use the telephone.
Call a couple of shops and ask if you could plug in to see if it solves your problem, under condition that you'd like to buy if it does.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Is it possible my motherboard has pooped out? I notice when I go under the device manager is states that there is no drivers for that as well.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Lisa,

Please be more specific about what you have found in Device Manager.

Are you looking under the item:
Computer - ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) (Multiprocessor PC)

or perhaps you are looking under the item:
Processors (the drivers for your CPU)

In either of the above cases, it would be important to reinstall the motherboard chipset driver set

9528150.exe - Gateway Intel® Chipset Driver Revision: 5.1.1.1002
Note: This file contains the Windows XP Intel Chipset drivers for the Gateway notebook computers listed below

Found here:
http://support.gatew...s...520GZ&st=kw

If you are referring to an item I have not mentioned above, please repost with specific information about what you are noticing.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Is it possible my motherboard has pooped out? I notice when I go under the device manager is states that there is no drivers for that as well.

Good morning Lisa,
Are you seeing a yellow exclamation point for the motherboard driver?
With everything that you have told us, I feel that this is more of a power issue than a driver issue.

I rebooted with my recovery disk that wiped the computer clean.
My usb ports are now recognizing that something is plugged in but can't recognize what the devices are.

The power to run what is plugged in comes from the usb port, up to 100uw, if the device requires more power than is being provided the port will not function properly.
The only way to really test this is to use a known good power supply, as Doug has stated.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Buenos Dias!

Doug,

The drivers not installed would be under device manager, system devices,and motherboard resources. It's when I go under properties that it says no driver is installed.

Yeah I have tried installing the chipset driver a few times.

Hippiefreak, No, there hasn't been any exclamation points throughout this whole process.

I am going today to check out some places to test/try out the PSU.

Thanks again!

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Lisa Huffman,

The drivers not installed would be under device manager, system devices,and motherboard resources. It's when I go under properties that it says no driver is installed.

"no drive is installed for this device" is not uncommon where you are looking.

Often the item is not used in the particular machine.
Or the item is covered through the use of another device listed earlier for which a driver is already installed. (chipset)

We are back to the more likely issue of Power Supply.

Best Regards

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Wanna hear something funny? (Okay READ something funny?) When I unplug the ac adaptor which I figure is the psu and rely on the old battery (only lasts 10 minutes at a time) the printer is recognized and fully functions! Yay!

I went to the laptop store and another electronics store- I am a little leary of the laptop store because they are keen on me leaving it with them for them to repair it-I am going to call them back and see what they charge for an adaptor. I'll also check prices online.....

:)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
A word of advice, any retail store will charge you a premium.
The manufacture will overcharge you.
Look for what you need at tigerdirect or newegg.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Tiger Direct hs some models that work with the 4000 series of my laptop....Is there anything in particular I should avoid? Is it okay to go with Coonix since it specifies Gateway?

2. Coonix AGA65A 75W AC Laptop Adapter For Gateway - 19V
At the office, in the home, or on the move, Coonix laptop peripherals bring practicality, creativity and inspiration together.

$34.99

3. Coonix AGA90A 90W AC Laptop Adapter For Gateway - 19V
At the office, in the home, or on the move, Coonix laptop peripherals bring practicality, creativity and inspiration together.

$34.99

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
What you want to look at; The output voltage, and the output amperage on your power supply.
These two things are very important.
Is the output voltage 19v?
Is it 75w?
How many amps (A)?