Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port problems

• Please log in to reply

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Model 0225c1965
Input 100-240V~,50-60Hz 1.7A
Output 19V 3.42A

I can't find anywhere it states the power. WHen I do a search on the model number I come up with models that are 75W and 65W. So I am thinking 75 Watts?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
From the model number you posted, it is 75W
Just as long as the output voltage is 19V, and the output amperage is 3.42A you should be good.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Lisa,

Nice experiment you performed there! :)
One more step toward the waste bucket for that A/C Adapter. :)

The prices you've mentioned are about $20 less than what I got at a local store.
The local store prices of about $50 were better than the $100-$129 that the name brand manufacturer wanted.

I'd say you're doing good.

If it was me, I'd still want to hook up to a known-good A/C Adapter just to see if USB ports worked OK.
But after your good experiment and good potential purchase finds, you will probably be OK without the effort.

Best Regards

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
thanks! :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Found this on the Gateway site for the 4520GZ (no leading M, just 4520GZ)"

Specifications
Product Description Targus Mobile 70 Universal AC Power Adapter - power adapter - 70 Watt
Device Type Power adapter - external
Weight 0.4 lbs
Power Provided 70 Watt

They want $79 + shipping for it: See here: http://search.sales....m/iphrase/query

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I just received the coonix that I paid $40 some odd dollars for with shipping and everything.....

Plugged it in and loaded the usb port with my camera and voila! It worked! Mission accomplished!

:)

Thanks so much for helping me on this!!!!

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Dang! I spoke too soon! My camera worked once in one of the ports-but picassa couldn't import more than three pictures. Then I rebooted two times and now no ports will recognize my camera or printer. Back to square one. Any ideas?

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Now it appears one port will allow me to print, but not the other three....

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Your camera is drawing too much power for the USB port.
Overcurrent occurs when too many power-draining USB peripherals are turned on at once, causing some devices not to be seen by the machine. This issue usually arises with devices that need power from the USB port, such as cameras, memory card readers, and flash drives.
You need a powered USB hub. here is an example of a powered hub.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
And I would need to hook my printer up to this as well? When I tried my camera I didn't have anything else in my usb ports. I don't have anything else like a mouse. I guess maybe the laptop is getting old-I just thought that since my printer was plugged into a separate power source it shouldn't need additional juice.

My printer is not printing all documents either. It prints from my firefox browser, but won't print any pdf files?

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Lisa,

You are correct that your printer is not drawing (much) power from the USB connector because it has its own power supply. However, sending print is an intense task.

The camera on the other hand, does draw its power to transfer pictures etc. from the USB port.
____________________---

Now when you are talking about the printer handling .html and .doc but not PDF, you are probably dealing with a Driver issue, rather than a power from the USB port issue.

What PDF reader do you have installed? Adobe?
I almost always suggest that folks with low-resource machines uninstall Adobe (unless they have the paid version and use all the bells and whistles)... and substitute the excellent Foxit pdf reader that does everything and more than the free version of Adobe........ and has a much smaller footprint (load on the machine).

Best Regards

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I went and bought a usb powered port and plugged in my printer,a flash drive, my camera, and a hard disk drive. All is working a-OK! I guess with time the power available to these laptops decreases. I am happy it's working!!!

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Thank you for letting us know that it is a happy ending.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Well it worked for a little while! Now none of my usb ports recognize my port hub or anything I plug into it. Any other ideas?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Uninstall the hub, and reinstall it.
Did you check to make sure that the hub did not get unplugged?