Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port problems

• Please log in to reply

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Sorry, I am a little unsure of how to de-install the hub. Is this done by uninstalling the usb port? It doesn't recognize anything when I plug the hub port in, with or without any devices plugged into it. Or when I try installing it (which all I have done in the past is just plug it in) what type of device should I install it with? ie when I add the hardware what device do I specify I am adding?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The Hub does not show up in device manager?
If so right click on it and select uninstall.
If not try pluging it in to a different USB port.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have 4 ports-2 of these ports sometimes list the hub as unrecognized hardware. Right now I can only get one of them to acknowledge something has been plugged in.

WHen I look it up on device manager under usb ports there is an "unknown device". I have tried uninstalling it and rebooting, but nothing has changed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Lisa, sad to say but I think you have two choices at this point.

Return it to Gateway for repair.
Take it to a local, reputable repair shop.

I think you're down to a defective Power Supply or System Board.

Restoring the laptop to it's factory state as you did would have resolved any software/operating system problems.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
When you say "power supply" is that an internal component? Is a system board a motherboard? I am just weighing the options of repair vs replacement. If it is $85/hour to fix and it is a motherboard that needs to be replaced-that could easily be $400? In which case I might be tempted to just buy a new one....

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes to both. The power supply (PSU) is what the power adapter plugs into on the rear of the laptop.

System board = mother board.

$400 is a bit high, $250 to $300 sounds more likely to me, but you should be able to get a complete price from any shop you take it to before allowing them to touch it. If they say it depends then go somewhere else.

I'd ask for a price for replacing the PSU, one for replacing the mother board and perhaps one for doing both at the same time.