Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

F Drive permanently set for camera.

• Please log in to reply

KandiLyons

KandiLyons

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

My question is lengthy.

About a year ago, I some how set my F Drive to only open with the Vivitar Camera. So, naturally, if I put in a Memory Stick, for example, it will open in the G Drive, even if the F Drive isn't being used. I don't want my F Drive to be reserved for the camera. I want it to be able to open with any device that I plug in. How do I fix this?

Let me add some detail that might help. When I plug in a device the Auto Play window pops up. On the very bottom, under General Options, there were two folders. The first says Click to View Files, the second said ... something. I don't know what. It disappeared. This is the folder I accidentally clicked that set the F Drive to permanently open only with the camera.

It has been suggested to me to delete the F Drive and that should fix the problem, so that the next time I plug in a device the F Drive will appear, because the drives appear in alphabetical order. The F Drive only shows up when the camera is plugged in, I don't want to accidentally mess up the camera, or accidentally permanently remove the drive, so, I didn't take that advice. I have to admit, I'm afraid. :) So, I will take advice cautiously.

I appreciate all help. Thank you.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello KandiLyons,

Open the run command (Start | Run), type cmd /k net use g: /persistent:no and press Enter. Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Regards,

Ax

KandiLyons

KandiLyons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Before I do that, will that permanently disable the G Drive?, cause I don't want that either, and how do I reverse it if I wanted to?

Thanks.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
No it won't delete the drive. If the drive isn't mapped, it will still be available to anything you plug in. You don't have it mapped to anything currently, do you? All this should do is make sure that when you unplug a device that uses the virtual drive, it doesn't keep it reserved.

KandiLyons

KandiLyons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

No, I didn't map anything on purpose, but what happens if I did?

I'm quite illiterate to the inner workings of my computer, there are some things I know very well, other things I wouldn't dare touch. How do I reverse this, once I do it, if this step doesn't do what I want? Restore?

I'll let you know what happens, but I'm still not comfortable unless I know a reversal process. Also, you suggested G:, should I do this for F:, too, since that is the drive that is stuck with the Vivitar?

I'm not doubting your ability, I just want reassurance. :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
If you have a network drive named 'f', that would be really the only issue. There's nothing to really reverse. The reverse would be giving a specific device a specific drive number, which is what you don't want (I thought?). Yes, you'd probably want to do it for the 'f' drive, rather than 'g', sorry about that.

KandiLyons

KandiLyons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Well, I took your advice & nothing appeared to have changed. Actually, I took your advice for both the F and G drives, since nothing appeared to have changed (thinking that maybe the same issue may have happened to both drives.

I did get this:

The Command Prompt popped up and said:

The syntax of this command is:

NET USE
[devicename : *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password : *]]
[/USER:[domainname\]username]
[/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
[/USER:[[email protected] domain name]
[/SMARTCARD]
[/SAVECRED]
[[/DELETE] : [/PERSISTENT:{YES : NO}]]

NET USE {devicename : *} [password : *] /HOME

NET USE [/persistent:{YES : NO}]

C:\Windows\system32>

What am I suppose to do here? Anything? I didn't know if I should type in the same command.

Thanks for your time!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Could you tell me what results when you just enter in cmd /k net use at the run window?

KandiLyons

KandiLyons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I get:

New connections will be remembered.

There are no entries in the list.

C:\Users\Katrina>

Someone was telling me that they think my computer is mapped, but I don't know if there is a way to check that. I was in the Computer Maintenance screen the other day, and the F and G Drives were partitioned. When I removed the items that were plugged in the drives disappeared, so I don't know if that means that they aren't mapped, but I thought that maybe you would be interested in knowing that bit of information.

I also wanted to let you know that the information that you are telling me to type in is going directly in the RUN window, I didn't type any of it in the DOS window, just so you know what I'm doing, incase I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks.

KandiLyons

KandiLyons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Here is something interesting that happened! Well, I hooked up an external hard drive, SeaGate. Amazingly enough it took the F Drive spot! So, I proceeded to plug in the Camera and my Memory Stick. They took drives G & H respectively. Then I plugged in each device separately. Now each drive appears to be assigned to each device. F is now the new Hard Drive's spot, G is now the new Camera's spot, & H is now the new Memory Stick's spot. That missing file that I was telling you about previously is called Windows Ready Boost, it showed up with the Auto Play Window for the Hard Drive (F:) underneath the file that says VIEW FILES, but it still isn't showing for the other two items.

I looked up Ready Boost and read the instructions, which were simple, check the DO NOT USE THIS DEVICE box. I went to do that & the check boxes don't exist for those two items. It's my understanding that this function is to reserve space on the device, not on my computer (please correct me if I'm wrong). According to the computer, I can't use this for the camera anyway. So, I don't know what the deal is, I suppose I should find something else to plug in the computer to see if it'll take up the G Drive if nothing else is plugged in, I'll have to find something, maybe get another memory stick or a camera.... anyway, I thought that I would update you. Maybe it's not really 'reserving' it, maybe the computer is just remembering what drive the device had previously used, but that still doesn't explain why this situation didn't happen previously. Oh well, I guess we'll find out... eventually.

:)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Honestly, the more I research this, the more I believe this is expected functionality for removeable devices. Your last post seems to confirm this as well. The drive letters are stored in the registry, but I'm not sure you really want to get into that. If you do, then here's a link that explains how to check it. You'll want to do a registry backup before changing anything.

Change or Delete System Drive Letter via Registry to Remove Conflict USB or FireWire Drive Letter » My Digital Life

Regards,

Ax