Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My wife's Toshiba tecra note book... so weird!

• Please log in to reply

iksuinje

iksuinje

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

I tried to help my wife with her laptop.... I am now in trouble... :)
My wife's Toshiba laptop Tecra M2V-S310 with widow xp professional does not boot even in safe mode.

I tried to reboot with xp pro CD .... to change the booting order from CD, I tried to access BIOS but I could not.
As an usual way, when the computer start, I press F2 fast then, the computer stop... it Looks stop.... there is no change very long time....

I don't know how to solve this problem... If I buy a certain booting CD such as Spotmau Powersuite Professional 2008, is it possible to repair this problem?

Or did I made a mistake in accessing the Bios of Toshiba tecra?

please help to be a good husband!!!!!!!! :)

Advertisements

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
well.... does the laptop freeze or you got error or what you mean by not boot???
I don't know what a key toshipa uses for setup BIOS .... but I think F2 just for order of Booting...if that's right to press "delete" key to enter steup bios ....

iksuinje

iksuinje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I tried with 'Delete' but it does not work.

When the laptop start, it automatically open the site that...

" we apologize for the inconvienence, but windows did not start successfully.....

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command promt

last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
start windows normally

...."

So I tried all above options, but they did not work.

when I click power key to start the laptop, I press F2 fast, then the computer just stop (not shut down, not power off I think) without any change... i.e. just like print screened picture on word document... motion just stops like one scene stoped without move when I press 'pause'.... I don't know how to describe the "stop"

If I press Delete or F8 then it goes to the same site with above " we apologize....."

help :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
If you have your Windows XP disk
  • Insert your Windows XP disk into your computer and reboot
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.
When you see the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt continue to section 3 (Running "ChkDsk")

If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk

• Download RC.ISO from Here.
  • Now burn this ISO image to a CD and boot your computer with it.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD-ROM. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro to another Windows machine and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Once the CD is created, place it in the defunct computer
  • Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.

Running "ChkDsk"
  • At the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt, type

chkdsk /r

• Press ENTER
  • Let this scan run UNINTERUPTED untill completed (30 min or so depending on the drive)
  • Report any errors in your next reply
  • Once the scan is complete, Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.
  • Your computer will now restart, boot from the CD again and continue with the next steps.

Using "BootCfg /Rebuild" to fix the "Boot.ini" file

• At the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt, type

bootcfg /rebuild

• Press ENTER
    Note:The bootcfg /rebuild command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP installations, and then displays the results. You can add the detected Windows installations.
  • When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

NOTE: You may see more than one entry here if you have a dual boot windows system. If this is the case follow this procedure for ALL installations to make sure that all OS's are added correctly
  • You receive a message that is similar to the following message:

Enter Load Identifier

NOTE:This is the name of the operating system. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
  • Type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER
  • You receive a message that is similar to the following:

Enter OS Load options

• Type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.
  • Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.
  • Your computer will restart, and the updated boot list may apear when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.
  • If you see a Boot list with multiple entries choose the XP Home option to boot to windows.

iksuinje

iksuinje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
dear helpers,

my first problem is that I can not make my wife's PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.

I tried to access to BIOS to search and change the boot order to set the CD as the first boot device... BUT I CAN NOT ACCESS TO THE BIOS!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I pressed F1, Del key, they did not work.

When I press F2 key, the computer stop as I explained before much like movie stoped when I press 'pause'.

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I don't know .... but maybe you have hardware problem or BIOS one.....
anyway, if you can get external keyboard and harddisk has XP then..... try them to see what's going on

Edited by SUPERIOR, 09 February 2008 - 02:44 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured since the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods will be effective:

Toshiba Hardware utility method: Run the Toshiba Hardware utility from the Toshiba Console. It may also accessible (as 'HWSetup') from the Windows Control Panel. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the computer. This method is the only way to access the BIOS settings on some notebook PCs (Satellite 5000 series, for example). (For these machines, pressing and holding the F12 key immediately after powering-on the notebook will allow you to alter the notebook's boot priority.)

If the Toshiba Hardware utility is not present, try the F2 key method and the Esc key method (see below). The Toshiba Hardware utility may be downloaded from the Toshiba support website at http://support.toshiba.com
If the computer is fully off, and/or to avoid having to re-start it (and Windows), use one or the other of the following two methods. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode). If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook (either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator), disconnect it until you have completed this procedure.

F2 key method: Turn the computer on. If you see an invitation to press the F2 key to enter Setup, do so. The Setup screen will appear.

Esc key method: Turn the computer on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured before the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods are appropriate:

HWSetup method: Run the HWSetup utility from the Windows Control Panel. This utility provides a relatively user-friendly way to change the BIOS settings. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the PC (and Windows). HWSetup was pre-installed on all but early Toshiba notebook models. If it doesn't appear as a Control Panel applet on your computer, you may be able to download it from the Toshiba Support website as part of the Toshiba Utilities package for your model.

Esc key method: If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook, either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator, disconnect it. Turn the computer on. Immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode) for this method to work.

TSETUP method: Run the TSETUP utility, under MS-DOS. TSETUP runs correctly only when executed from a 'native' MS-DOS prompt, and with the processor running in real mode -- so not from a Windows 'DOS box', and without any memory manager software running (EMM386.EXE, HIMEM.SYS, or QEMM386.EXE, for example). TSetup was pre-installed on most early Toshiba notebook models (except for the very earliest models). It is available from the Toshiba Support website.

iksuinje

iksuinje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I used ESC and F1 ... it worked!!!!

then I changed the booting order from CD. I shut down the PC and insert XP pro CD and start again... It asked several questions... I missed the above insructions.... I installed the XP again... there was one module(? I am not sure) which is not downloaded from the CD so I skipped despite warning that it will cause problem in installing..... anyway it was installed... good!!!! but when I deleted several unwanted program.... then I tried to update the microsoft stuff (there was an indication that thre is windows update). so I clicked that... but it says windows installer is not found.... I tried to solve this according to microsoft instruction in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324516 with method 3 because method 1 and 2 did not work for my wife's pc even though her pc's operating system is xp pro (there was note that window xp is not proper for method 3....hhhhh)

after that, when the pc starts, there is error message such that

SNDMon.exe - Unable to locate component
This application has failed to start because Msi.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem.

IMJPMIG.ex- Unable to locate component
This application has failed.....

So when I tried to boot again with XP pro CD to re-install XP pro... but it does not work!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to uninstall XP with control panel of program remove and add.... it is not opened even though I click several times..
this trial is because I thought if the xp is uninstalled then the pc will recognize the xp CD again....

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
SNDMon.exe is part of Symantec's LiveUpate, it's not required on startup so you don't have to worry if it's installed or not. If you want it back, you can always reinstall the whole software.

IMJPMIG.exe is part of MS Input Method Editor which is used to ease the input of Asian characters in MS Office (Chinese, Korean and this one is Japanese), this is not a critical component required at startup either, and if you need it, you can always install it back.

You don't have to reinstall XP just because of the two missing applications above, just leave it as it is.