Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIG Problem with something =\

• Please log in to reply

frozenwater

frozenwater

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey peoples,

Problem ive been having has been for a while now gradually getting worse. Started off just the screen going off then on, and i figured 'ok, thats just the graphics card bein a pain' but it didnt happen often so i left it. After a while i started to for no reason get Blue Screens of Death.. Now this was a bigger problem, and the longer i kept going the more frequent it got. I found that while i had a certain game running, the computer would seem pretty stable, however as soon as i close it, a BSOD would be imminent. I just assumed that it was the card, so decided to invest in a 256mb GeForce 6600 GT DDR3 bla bla card, and when it arrived i put it in to find that it partially helped in that i no longer got blue screens while the computer was loading, only when i logged into windows. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling etc the drivers, no luck. I tried repairing Windows XP but that just made my computer run REALLY slow (and it still is) so now im lost for what to do. Im now thinking it must be the motherboard. It was pretty hard to install the driver again, and it still has problems (giving a code 10 error saying cannot start device or something :S) and to install it to start with, every time i tried using the cd it would freeze when i tried installing driver. I noticed that when in safe mode the computer seemed relatively stable, but that didnt last long. The BSOD still found its way to me, but now instead of always BSOD then an EXTREMELY slow "physical memory dump", it now just restarts. Im really lost for what to do, id love for someone to help before i invest in a new motherboard.. the old card was a 128mb GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP8X, the new one as i said above, 256mb GeForce 6600 GT AGP8X. Im running Windows XP with a Soltek Mainboard, On board everything except graphics, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0ghz processor, 1024mb of ram (2x 512 sticks). Please someone save me from this living [bleep], i miss my computer working properly, and i cant wait to use this new graphics card with it working... ;)

Might add ive just tried doing a memory test thing i read about on someone elses site, a bootable CDROM that 'tests your ram' or something. just running through that now but 99% sure it wont have much to do with my ram.
Will wait for this test then edit post with some details on what the BSOD sais :tazz:

Edited by frozenwater, 22 April 2005 - 07:28 PM.

Advertisements