Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys WRT54G Router Issues

• Please log in to reply

baseballstar9

baseballstar9

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

I'm beginning to grow extremely frustrated with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I use it to connect both my desktop and lap top computers wirelessly, my playstation 3 wirelessly, and my playstation 2 through a hard wire. It always seemed to work okay until I bought my Playstation 3 and went online. Ever since then, I've had difficulty getting online with my playstation 2 (I've had to power cycle multiple times and unplug wires to finally get it to work and even then I'm never sure what actually fixed it). Last night I unplugged my cable modem to power cycle to attempt to get back online with my playstation 2 and when I plugged everything back in it took me 2 hours to get my router to even recognize my internet signal. My access points would connect fine to the router but no internet signal was found. I eventually used the reset button on the router and started over from scratch setting up my network. I was able to connect again and even get online for playstation 2. However, I logged on playstation 3 to play online and when I woke up this morning I am back at square one with my router not recognizing my internet signal. I should add that when I plug my ethernet cord directly into my computer and power cycle I am able to get online fine.

If anyone has any solutions to this problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This sounds like wireless interference. See if its possible to change the wireless channel settings on the Playstations and/or in the router. You may have some sort of conflict. Also do you have any cordless telephones near by or any TV senders?

baseballstar9

baseballstar9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's interesting that you mention wireless interference because I did recently buy new wireless phones for the house around the same time I started to have problems (one receiver is in the same room as the router). However, I'm able to connect to my network with a very high signal and I can still file share between computers, I just can't access the internet. Also, my Playstation 2 is what gave me the most problems and that has always been hooked up with an ethernet cord.

I am going to try to unplug the phone when I get home and see if I have any luck getting online.

Thanks for your post and I'll be sure to update you soon on my progress.

baseballstar9

baseballstar9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The saga continues. I decided to hook the modem directly up to my cpu and power cycle just to make sure the modem was okay and I couldn't get any connectivity. I talked to comcast tonight and they ran a test and said they weren't showing my modem was online and they were scheduling a technician to come out to look at it. This all started to make sense until I got bored and messed with it some more - I power cycled the modem and plugged it directly into my playstation 2 and now I'm able to get online with the PS2. This makes no sense that I can't run through my router nor could I get my regular computer to work when I power cycled but I could get online with the playstation.

I'm officially perplexed.

baseballstar9

baseballstar9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
If anyone is still interested, I was able to get everything up and running again by completely resetting my router and recreating my network. My lap top and desktop both look like they are working great however, my playstation 2 is still kicking me offline at random times for no reason (this is what was happening to begin with before all my problems started).

This computer stuff sure is complicated!

baseballstar9

baseballstar9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Everything was working fine until I turned my lap top off and then the internet stopped working again. Could this problem have something to do with not receiving an IP address? If I create a static IP address for every piece of hardware on my system, could this possibly help?

Is there anyone that can help me?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Create static IPs and see what happens.
Alternatively you may have a duff router, see if you can borrow one from a friend.