Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet goes Out when Laptop and Desktop are on at Same time

• Please log in to reply

Sub-Konshiss

Sub-Konshiss

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys...I have a regular Desktop Computer with DSL connection. I have a linksys router so that I can connect my Desktop and my Laptop to the internet at the same time. But for some reason If my Desktop is on at the same time as my Laptop (WITHOUT running Internet Explorer or Firefox) the Internet connection wont work for either computer. The computer says were "Connected" but no pages open, nor can I use internet related programs like AIM.

The internet works 100% fine if my Laptop is on and my Desktop is off. or vice versa. But when there both on at the same time, theres no internet for either computer.

Ive already tried going to Start-->Run-->cmd-->and then typing "ipconfig/renew" and these were the results I got for my Desktop and Laptop...

on my Desktop:
Eternet Adapter Local Area Connection:

IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

on my Latptop:
Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection:

IP Address: 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Does anybody know why this is happening and what I can do to solve this problem? Ive been told before that it might be an IP Address problem, so ive gone ahead and listed the IP's for my Laptop and my Desktop. Does anybody know what I have to do to fix the problem? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Do a "ipconfig /all" on both systems and paste the results here. A lot depends on how the IP addresses are set up, as to whether you're using fixed ones or the router is handing them out as and when.