Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

7 signs you're a bad boss

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

1. The staff has developed guidelines for dealing with you and quietly passes them to new employees. "Never suggest that there might be another way of doing something," they might say. Or "Act self-deprecating so he doesn't feel threatened."

2. You have one or two fanatical acolytes. Yes, such devotion may be a testament to your fabulousness. But often when a boss is perceived as universally loathed, the staff opportunist offers herself up as sole confidante and friend, seeking power and favor at the expense of more honest, critical employees.

3. You never see people walk by. Employees would rather circumnavigate the entire office to get to the coffee machine or bathroom than take the shortcut past your door and risk being invited in.

4. Your 360-degree evaluations come back short and full of generically positive comments, with one very mild criticism ("Sometimes she works too [bleep] hard for her own good") thrown in for credibility's sake.

5. People don't volunteer for your pet projects. The idea sucks, and they're afraid to tell you, or it's brilliant, but the consequences for letting you down are too terrible to imagine. And, of course, if it's your pet project, you'll probably work on it as well. Which means more time spent...gulp...with you.

6. You have legions of former employees, but they rarely give your name as a reference for new jobs. Either they don't trust you to give them their due, or they worry that because they were so miserable working for you, your recollections will also be dismal.

7. You have legions of former employees, period. If your staff falls away like linty Post-it notes, ask yourself: Is high turnover the problem? Or am I?

Full article.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
8. Staff not so subtly posts messages like, "7 signs you're a bad boss".

:)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Nah, we :) you! You thought it was just the high salaries that kept us here! :)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

8. Staff not so subtly posts messages like, "7 signs you're a bad boss".

Me thinks she is hinting at something. What shall we do with this one?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It wasn't aimed at admin.

*sari gives ScHwErV a look.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
If that was aimed at ScHwErV, you're in MORE trouble than if it had been aimed at Admin. :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Pfff - he would take this as a compliment. I ain't skeered.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Sort of looks like a case where: "The beatings shall commence, until morale improves"

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

7. You have legions of former employees, period. If your staff falls away like linty Post-it notes, ask yourself: Is high turnover the problem? Or am I?

High turnover is the problem, teenagers are the cause :) Oh man, I love my job :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Pfff - he would take this as a compliment. I ain't skeered.

this?? from the " Global Goddess of Grammar"...I'm shocked... :)

The beatings shall commence, until morale improves

this is actually supposed to be ...The beatings shall continue.. until morale improves