Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tool T Patch and Crack PVC

• Please log in to reply

karenwf

karenwf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'll apologize upfront for my astounding ignorance. My husband always handled computer stuff,he was an amazing computer programmer. He had a stroke, his language is greatly affected, so I can't ask him. I'm trying to help him use a computer again but when I turned it on, I got an alert thru McAfee (thru Comcast) about removing the two programs, Tool-T patch and Crack PVC. Should I remove them? What are they? Last time I removed something I think it was a mistake, we lost the ability to send email directly from the program I use with our scanner, so I'm afraid to do that without asking someone who actually knows what they're doing. This site came up when I googled those program names, and so I hope you can help. I'm not computer savvy and just need to know do I remove them or are they okay? I don't want to mess up his computer just as he's able to maybe try it again.
Thanks, very much, I know this is all volunteer and appreciate the time answering what is probably a really dumb question.
Karen

Advertisements

Noviciate

Noviciate

Confused Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,567 posts

probably a really dumb question.

I like dumb, it makes me feel at home! I don't know the answer to your question, so we'll dig around a little and see what turns up. They could be malicious detections, or it could be a false-positive scare, so work through the following and ask if you get stuck on any step:

1) Download a copy of HJTInstall.exe from here and save it to your Desktop
  • Double click HJTInstall.exe to begin installation.
  • Accept the installation location, which by default is C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis or click the Browse... button if you want to chose somewhere else and then click Install
  • Once HJT has installed, a shortcut will be created on your Desktop and HJT will run automatically.
  • You will need to accept the EULA, if it appears, to be able to use the tool.
  • When HJT opens, click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button.
  • When HJT has finished scanning, a window entitled "hijackthis.log" will open - when you close this window the log will be saved into the Hijackthis folder.
  • Copy and paste this into your next reply.
2) Run HJT and click on Open the Misc Tools section.
  • Click Open Uninstall Manager...
  • Click Save list... and save it to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the file uninstall_list.txt into your next reply.
3) Go here and click the Kaspersky Online Scanner button - I.E. is required for this scan.
  • Read the Requirements and limitations before you click Accept.
  • Allow the ActiveX download if necessary.
  • Once the database has downloaded click Next.
  • Click Scan Settings and check the "Scan using the following antivirus database" is set to extended, not standard, and then click OK.
  • Click on "My Computer" and then put the kettle on!
  • When the scan has completed, click Save Report As...
  • Enter a name for the file in the Filename: text box and then click the down arrow to the right of Save as type: and select text file (*.txt)
  • Click Save - by default the file will be saved to your Desktop, but you can change this if you wish.
Copy and paste the report into your next reply along with a description of how your PC is behaving.

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.